The Tylt Energy sliding power case is a high quality, flexible power case for a variety of smartphones including the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Apple iPhone 5. Unlike most power cases, the Tylt model is a two piece unit allowing maximum flexibility and configuration. The case can be used with or without the power pack. For families or couples who have identical phones, the power pack can be shared since the packaging includes two cases.
It features a built-in rechargeable 2500 mAh Lithium Ion battery providing up to 8-9 hours of additional use depending on usage habits. On the Galaxy S4, the 2500 mAh nearly doubles the life of the phone. It features a thin, compact design adding just 1/4 inch (9mm) to thickness and 1/2 inch (10mm) to length. In extended use, I found the additional weight and bulk to be negligible and quite usable for the additional protection and benefits.
The back plate material provides good resistance against slippage, a welcome feature if you have the stock Samsung Galaxy S4 which provides no slip protection at all. Oily fingers will cause slight visible smudges. It does not attract lint when stored in pant’s pockets. The standard cutouts are available for all ports and controls.
- Very attractive retail packaging
- Two back plates included allowing for 4 different configurations
- High quality construction/material
- Precision fit
- Easy installation/removal
- Excellent back protection, fair side and corner protection, very minimal front protection
- Mini USB cable included
- Almost doubles battery life
- LED battery indicator
- On/Off button for battery
- Can be used with or without power module
- Forces power and volume buttons to be recessed preventing accidental button pushes.
- $79.99 price tag may be a bit steep but is far more flexible than other power cases costing less
- No screen protection, no top protection
- No NFC antenna pass-thru so back plate on S4 must remain in place
- No kickstand despite the company name being Tylt
Among powered cases, the Tylt Energi sliding case is the most innovative and flexible I have tested to date. Since receiving the review unit, Tylt has dropped the price from $100 to $80 making it a better value. A quick check on Amazon shows you can buy the Galaxy S4 version from $65 to $75.