Borrowing a page from Saul Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals,” Sen Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, demonized the Tea Party Friday, claiming the small-government, pro-Constitution group is as dangerous for America as the Civil War, The Hill reported.
“A small group of willful men and women who have a certain ideology about how our country should run and what we should do cannot get their way in a normal discourse and votes,” he said. “Since they can’t get their way, they’re going to create this confusion and discourse and hope the public is so mixed up in who to blame for this that perhaps they’ll blame both sides.”
That is the path they see for taking over the government. It’s dangerous, very dangerous. … Every bit as dangerous as the break up and the Civil War,” he added.
Harkin’s comments came as the Senate prepared to vote on a measure funding the government after Sept. 30. Democrats are set strip language from the continuing resolution that would defund Obamacare.
He also said Republicans like Ted Cruz are throwing a “temper tantrum,” threatening to “take their marbles home” if they don’t get their way.
“I suppose if you are of an anarchist mind, which I believe some of them are, then you don’t want government, you want to create chaos,” he said. “But this is not a game and hopefully we’re not children.”
Harkin is not the only liberal Democrat to attack the Tea Party.
Liberals have viciously targeted those who believe in the Constitution and the concept of government living within its means, calling them terrorists and in some cases, advocating their extermination.
Liberal talk show host Mike Malloy, who recently said he would provide the butcher knife to stab Sen. Ted Cruz, once suggested an “angel of the Lord” murder everyone in the Tea Party by cutting off their heads.
Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has repeatedly called the Tea Party “anarchists,” while some in the media have suggested Obama use the military to eliminate the group.
If Congress does not approve a funding measure, the government will shut down Oct. 1.
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- The left’s answer for what ails America: Murder conservatives, NRA members
- Liberal talker Mike Malloy: ‘Angel of the Lord’ should behead Tea Party members
- Harry Reid: Tea Party non-violent anarchists, government ‘inherently good’
- Senate Democrats whine: Media too soft on Tea Party Republicans
- Editorial cartoon suggests Navy SEALs assassinate Tea Party Republicans
- Is the ‘mainstream media’ fomenting violence against conservatives?
- Senate Chaplain: ‘Lord, deliver us from governing by crisis’ – Video
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.