The Zero Aggression Principle (ZAP) has been expressed in many ways with many different words on many different websites and blogs since the beginning of the Internet.
This version, written by Perry Willis and Jim Babka for the Zero Aggression Project website, may have captured the ZAP concept as simply and eloquently as possible.
Libertarian News Examiner presents it here verbatim with their permission.
The Zero Aggression Principle
How your personal morality can change the world.
This is the Zero Aggression Principle (ZAP)…
No one should initiate force against others or delegate doing so to politicians.
The ZAP is like the Golden Rule. If you don’t want people to tread on you, don’t tread on others. Reciprocity. Treat others as you want to be treated.
You already obey this principle in your personal relationships, unless you’re a sociopath. But strangely…
Most people behave exactly like sociopaths when it comes to politics and government.
A sociopath is a person who feels no empathy for others. Consider our political behavior…
- We unfeelingly vote to subject other people to our personal preferences.
- We delight when our partisan enemies must submit to our will.
- We endorse actions by politicians and bureaucrats that we would view as criminal if committed by any other member of society.
- We act as if “the government” has some magic power to turn wrong into right.
This process is devoid of empathy and suffused with hatred. It rests on hypocrisy. It encourages violence. And it thrives on cowardice, as we routinely ask “the government” to do things to others that we would never have the courage to do directly.
Here at the Zero Aggression Project…
- We think the political process is immoral and destructive.
- We want to change it.
- And we think this change begins with you, with your heart and your mind.
Please consider a slight alteration to your internal stance…
The Zero Aggression Principle is already a part of your personal morality. You live by it daily. We only ask that you apply this principle consistently, by extending it to all parts of society, including government and politics.
- Please join us in opposing the initiation of force, even by politicians and bureaucrats.
- Help us wake the world from its moral slumber.
- Help us oppose the socio-pathology of politics.
- Help us make ALL institutions of governance obey the Zero Aggression Principle.
Everyone’s choice is clear: Human decency or sociopathy.
Don’t miss a NATIONAL LIBERTARIAN NEWS EXAMINER article: subscribe to my email alerts and then have fun hitting all those other social media buttons too.
Libertarians! What’s happening in your area? Send me stories, photos, videos to publish in Libertarian News Examiner. email@example.com.
Read more Reed: North Texas news and commentary at Dallas Libertarian Examiner.
Also twiddling with Twitter and fiddling with Facebook.