Get the scoop on the top trends for this fall season and start planing your winter wardrobe. Perhaps you’ll spy a few trends that were hot last year and back on track this 2013 as well, like velvet, lace and fur (faux!). Give those pieces from 2012 a re-design and wear them differently this Fall; that way, you won’t have to invest in a new closet, OK maybe in some new pieces, why not?
- Capes: If you want something innovative, instead of the same coats and blazers and fur (faux) cover-ups, capes are the perfect choice. From tailored and feminine to cropped, like the ones on Derek Lam’s collection; even medieval ones will do the trick. Wear them anywhere, as casual pieces or to fancy events on top of elegant gowns; check out Vera Wang’s black fur ones; those are glam in deed; maybe you’d like to consider them for a New Year’s Eve party or Christmas Dinner.
- Luxurious: Think “embroidery, rich patterns, gold, sequins, jewel encrusted, rhinestones, golden chains”; these pieces will transport you into a different era, and a very luxurious and refined one. Be careful not to take it too far and look like a Halloween costume; take for instance the example of Oscar de la Renta, opting for an all black look with chunky gold bijoux; and if you still want to feel more like a princess then take Dolce and Gabbana’s collection as reference and throw in a tiara, why not? After all, fashion is about having fun. Remember that hair and makeup should also be sophisticated, maybe add a little drama with smokey eyes or red lips.
- Romance: Create your own romantic vibe even if that means dressing up for the occasion for no reason. Fancy feminine dresses are more sophisticated and conservative this year, a little bit of the Victorian era must have served for inspiration. And if you still want a twist on this lady-like look, perhaps you want to consider different shoes, instead of the most expected high-heeled pumps, why not wear these dresses with oxfords, mary janes or lace-up booties; check Lanvin’s and Marchesa’s collections to see how these unexpected outfits look like.
- Plaid: Designers brought back the tartan in their own particular way. Yves Saint Laurent went for the 90’s grunge vibe, mixing plaid mini dresses with black tights, black boots, distressed denim and a fierce attitude; while Givenchy paired it with leather and Calvin Klein went for the sleek office look in a more subtle plaid print. Choose what suits you best, whether you go for the naughty baby-doll plaid dresses or a more classic chic office look.
- Animal Kingdom: It’s no secret that leopard print will always be a timeless and classic trend; so there’s no surprise to see it on the runways this season as well. How ever, the catwalk just got a bit more crowded, because not only is this feline going to be your companion out there, but also the snakes, the crocodiles, the zebras, the peacocks and many other animals. It is now officially a Fashion Jungle; from YSL mixing leopard print with floral dresses, to Emanuel Ungaro pairing it up with polka dots; the animals are out. Just make sure to keep this trend fun and faux, let’s spare the pain to real animals and do choose imitation pieces instead of the real ones, we wouldn’t want to destroy our real animal kingdom, would we?
- Electric Blue: Van Gogh had his blue period, so why shouldn’t we? Of course, this doesn’t mean we should all get into the blues mood, but on the contrary, celebrate such bright hue and bring some electricity into the scene. J. Mendel wowed the show with an all cobalt blue gown, why not take that as inspiration for your next event? Valentino went for cute little cobalt blue dresses and Missoni for hot cobalt blue trousers, try this color in every type of garment you want and pair them with nude, white or the safer one: black.