The movie begins with brothers Mikey and Brandon Walsh being forced to move because developers are going to force them out of their home. Unless the family can come up with enough money the family’s home will be torn down and turned into a golf course.
Mikey stumbles upon a treasure map and the adventure begins. The movie which premiered in 1985 has become a cult classic. Many of the stars have grown up to become famous and are still in the acting business.
Here are some fun facts:
- The pirate ship was a real set built to look like Errol Flynn’s ship in “The Sea Hawk”.
- Sloth, played by John Matuszak, was not able to perform many of the physical actions of his role due to football injuries.
- Sean Astin was super excited to kiss older actress, Kerri Green; while Kerri was horrified she would scare the younger Astin.
- In the final scene where the children are reunited with their parents, many of the adults are the children’s actual parents.
- Robert Davi, who played one of the “bad” guys, is classically trained in opera.
His rugged features and natural charm work well for this actor. His first role was in “The Goonies” in 1985. Josh has gone on to appear in films such as: “My Brother’s War”, “The Mod Squad”, “Jonah Hex”, “True Grit”, and many more.
Ke Huy Quan
Jonathan Ke Huy Quan is an American actor best known for his role in “The Goonies”. He also appeared in “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”, “Encino Man”, and “Second Time Around”.
Actress Kerri Green played Andy in the 80’s cult classic. Green has worked for Disney, appeared in ABC’s after school specials, and in “ER”.
Martha portrayed Stef in the film. She is currently starring in “Raising Hope” on Fox TV. A fan favorite. Plimpton was born with Hollywood in her blood. Her parents are Keith Carradine and Shelley Plimpton.
Our little Mikey grew up to star in “Lord of the Rings”, one of the biggest movie trilogies in history. He has also done the voice of one of the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” on the TV series.
Spielberg made his film debut in 1961’s “Escape to Nowhere” as a producer. He went on to work in films such as: “ET”, “Gremlins”, “Poltergeist”, and dozens more award winning films.
Feldman captured our hearts as the mouthy kid in “The Goonies”, before going on to appear in several more films and reality TV. Feldman also appeared in “The Bad News Bears”, “Mork and Mindy, “The Love Boat” and “Lost Boys”.
No one will ever forget the enigmatic role of Chunk. He was the boy who stole our hearts and who many of us have related too. Cohen went on to work on “Family Ties” and do voice acting on “Scooby Doo”.