There’s a lot of finger pointing going on in Washington D.C. on the eve of September 30, 2013, when the government could shut down. The most disrespectful language is coming not just from Democrats, but from the White House.
As President Obama said (Sept. 27, dnj.com), “the United States congress has two pressing responsibilities, pass a budget on time and pay our bills on time.” However, for the first four years he was in office, a budget was not passed. During the first two years, Democrats controlled both the Senate and House. The debt ceiling was raised 7 times so bills could be paid on time. Both of these are gross negligence by our elected officials.
As the government looks at an imminent shutdown, look at these facts:
- If a budget deal cannot be reached, Republican leadership in the House of Representatives has sent bills to the Senate for temporary funding of important aspects, including social security, air traffic control, etc. Democrat leadership in the Senate (Harry Reid) has refused to look at it.
- Democrats did, however, pass a bill sent over by the House of Representatives to pay military personnel if they don’t reach a budget agreement.
- The Senate didn’t pass a budget in 4 years – coincidentally, the first four years Barack Obama was president. The Senate had a Democrat majority. The first budget they passed was in March 2013.
- $2.6 trillion is what Obamacare is schedule to cost America over the next 10 years.
- America is currently in the hole (mostly to other nations) for nearly $17 trillion.
- the Obama administration has given 17 waivers for Obamacare, and yet, the House of Representatives is asking for a one year delay and the Democrat led Senate refuses to budge.
Now look at these quotes from prominent Democrats:
- President Barack Obama: claims the budget debate is happening because Republicans don’t want women to have access to birth control. “The House Republicans are so concerned with appeasing the tea party, they are looking at a government shutdown, or worse.”
- MSNBC host Chris Hayes: says Republicans are using “hostage holding” tactics on the spending bill.
- Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States: “you want to threaten to not only shut down our government, but to blow up the world economy unless we go back and undo what we did according to the processes of our democracy?” (As a side note, bribery took place to get the necessary votes to pass the Obamacare law.)
- Dan Pfeiffer, White House Senior Adviser: “what we’re not for is negotiating with people with a bomb strapped to their chest.” (Quotes from foxnews.com)
What about these facts:
- Republicans have passed a measure which would delay Obamacare by just one year. It is scheduled to go into affect on Oct. 1 with open exchanges, and yet, there are problems with the computer programs that run those exchanges. Those computers will have private information on millions of Americans, and yet the security is in question.
- Democrats refuse to look at any bill that delays Obamacare, which the majority of Americans are opposed to, but claim it’s Republicans who won’t compromise.
- Democrats blame Tea Party “extremists” for the potential government shutdown, and yet, the Tea Party is only interested in getting government spending under control, something Democrats repeatedly refuse to do.
- The Tea Party is a non-partisan group that includes Independents, Democrats and Republicans, not an “arm of the Republican party” as the media claims.
- The debt limit is also looming (Oct. 17), and yet, spending is still out of control.
- Heritage.org. Over the past four years, Congress has added $43,000 in debt for every American household. And yet, Democrats claim Republicans are holding America hostage by not allowing more spending, and yet, Democrats refuse to make any significant cuts.
Instead of bickering about who is to blame, maybe our elected leaders should do their job, come up with a balanced budget, stop spending so much money, and live within their means as the rest of the country must do.
If you like this article, please click “subscribe” and you will receive an e-mail whenever information is posted by Michelle Hurni.