Learning is in full swing with kids back in school. And of course parents never stop learning. Here’s a list of events in the Baltimore area for parents of children with special needs.
Bright Lights of Broadway!
- Fall Semester Begins — September 21, 2013 on Saturdays, 10:00-11:00 a.m.
- Location: St. John’s Parish Day School, 9130 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD 20142
- Open to grades 4-12
- Cost: $185 per semester.
- This program helps children with communication and social skills needs improve their communication abilities through musical theater!
- Brights Lights of Broadway consists of fun, creative games, and exercises that help students learn to use their bodies and voices to convey emotion, using intelligible speech and varying pitch.
- The program is led by experienced musical theater instructors in consultation with professionals in speech-language pathology.
- Each session culminates in a final performance for friends and family. Register online at www.CCTArts.com or call 410-381-0700 for more information.
- For information about financial aid/scholarships, please contact the CCTA office at info@CCTArts.com or 410-381-0700. Presented by the Columbia Center for Theatrical Arts.
Family First Workshop Series
- September 9th – November 18th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. every other Monday
- Location: Ellicott City Senior Center, Activity Room, 9401 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042
- Cost: $7 per class
- The Howard County Office of Children’s Services will present a series of workshops for parents and guardians raising young children, from birth to age 8.
- The “Family First” series covers topics including child development, encouraging self-esteem and good behavior, positive guidance and discipline, and how to keep children safe and healthy.
- Classes are offered in an interactive group format and include practical tips and advice for common situations, as well as hands-on activities. Participants may take just one class or the entire series of four; each class is $7.00. For more information or to register, please email email@example.com, call 410-313-1940 or visit www.howardcountymd.gov/children.
Howard County Commission on Disability
- Wednesday, September 11, 2013 from 9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Location: Gateway Building, 6751 Columbia Gateway Drive, Room 303, Columbia, MD 21046
- This meeting features a 90-minute presentation by the Howard County Office of Human Rights. Have you or a family member ever experienced discrimination? Perhaps on the job, when seeking housing or employment, or as a customer in a place of public accommodation such as a retail store, restaurant, or medical office? Did you know where to turn to for assistance? Do you want to learn more about anti-discrimination laws, and the services of the Office of Human Rights? There will be time for Q & A during the presentation. To request accommodations to attend this meeting, contact Erica Lewis at 410-313-6402 or at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 4th.
- To RSVP, please contact Erica Lewis prior to the meeting so we can be prepared with adequate seating and resource materials.
- Monday, September 16th, 2013 from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Location: Ellicott City Senior Center, 9401 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042
- Lacey Tsonis will lead this parenting workshop on effective discipline for children ages 2 to 12. This nationally-recognized program helps parents learn how to change challenging behaviors into positive ones in children. In this seminar, participants will get an overview of the 1-2-3 Magic plan, and will learn the Counting Method and Positive Praise techniques.
- Cost: $5.00.
- Call 410-313-1940 or register online at www.howardcountymd.gov/children – click on Online Registration on the right side. Sponsored by the Howard County Office of Children’s Services.
Mid-Atlantic ADA Conference
- September 18 and 19, 2013
- Location: BWI Airport Marriott Hotel, Linthicum, Maryland
- The Mid-Atlantic ADA Center will present the 20th Annual Mid-Atlantic ADA Update Conference. The region’s leading conference on the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Mid-Atlantic ADA Update will feature representatives from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Department of Justice, United States Access Board and the Federal Transportation Administration.
- For further information and to register, visit the Mid-Atlantic ADA Center website at http://www.ADAUpdate.org.
- Cost: Registration fee is $299 (includes 2 full days, 2 continental breakfasts, 2 lunches).
- For more information about the conference, contact the Mid-Atlantic ADA Center by calling 1-800-949-4232 V/TTY or sending an email to ADAtraining@transcen.org.
HCAS General Support Group Meeting
- Thursday, September 19, 7-9 p.m.
- Location: Howard County Autism Society, 10280 Old Columbia Road, #215,Columbia, MD 21046
- Presenters Sheila Collector (Behavior Specialist – HCPSS), Elisa Kinnee (HCPSS), and Julie Phillips (OT at Heartlight Healing Arts) will speak on the topics of OT and Sensory Needs. Sponsored by the Howard County Autism Society.
- For more information please contact the Howard County Autism Society at www.howard-autism.org or 410-290-3466.
Language, Literacy, and Deaf Children Research to Practice
- Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Location: Maryland School For the Deaf, 8169 Old Montgomery Road, Ellicott City, MD 21043 — Denton Building
- Presented by Dr. Donna Morere. Are you concerned about how your child is doing with reading and writing? Do you have questions about how you can help your child? Don’t miss this full day of learning about language and literacy. This free conference for families with children who are deaf or hard of hearing is funded through a grant by the State of Maryland, Office for Genetics and People with Special Health Care Needs.
- For more information or to register please visit http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event? llr=6g8xrkbab&oeidk=a07e829uggmfbfa6421
Connections: A Conference for Families Caring for a Child with Behavioral Health Needs
- Saturday September 28, 2013 8:00am Registration 9:00am-4:00pm Conference
- Location: Holiday Inn Baltimore, Inner Harbor Hotel, 301 W. Lombard Street, Baltimore MD 21201
- Marcella Franczkowski, Assistant Superintendent Special Education/Early Intervention for the Maryland Department of Education will speak in a general session. Following the keynote address, there will be choices of workshops in three 90-minute sessions on topics that include ADHD, Early Identification of Emotional Disorder, Psycho-Educational Testing, Effective Parenting, SSI, Medication, Transition Age Youth, and more. Exhibitor tables will provide additional information and resources for participants.
- Cost: The $15 fee for family members ($25 for 2 family members) includes lunch.
- If you have any questions or need more information, contact Jennifer vanBlarcom at 410-730-8267 Ext. 148 or by email at email@example.com. To register please visit www.mdcoalition.org
The Annual International CHADD Conference
- November 7-9, 2013
- This year’s International CHADD conference is being held at the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City, VA.
- There also is a discount on registration for the early birds. You can register here.