School is back in session and the leaves are beginning to change, even here in Palm Springs. Sooner or later, what is one thing that practically every kid wants to do? Have a sleepover with their friends. It isn’t just girls anymore, although they like it the most. Before you say yes to the sleepover, here are a few tips for you to know.
Pillow fights, scary movies, staying up late – all of these things can happen at a slumber party. It’s like camping out in the comfort of your own home. And, it keeps the kids where you can watch them while they still have fun. But, you still have to do some preparation so the night will be a success.
Sleepover Tips for the Well-Informed Parent
Having all those kids in one place is not easy. These tips will make it more manageable.
1. Choose a weekend – Most slumber parties take place over a weekend because kids and parents have the chance to sleep in the next day. Also, if a child’s parent wants to have a night out, they can plan too. Holidays are a possibility for you as well.
2. Send a detailed invitation – Since they are spending the night, kids will need more than the clothes on their back when they arrive. To help the kids make sure they have everything, include a list as an insert. Some particulars: toothbrush, sleeping bag, hygiene products and an extra set of clothing for the next day.
3. Restrict the party to certain rooms – So your entire house isn’t invaded (especially if you have other kids), allow party guests to have their fun in designated rooms, one being the birthday kid’s bedroom and the family room or the den. It’s okay if everyone shares the kitchen.
4. Parental controls on televisions and computers – Kids will be kids, especially when they are teenagers. Limit the temptation to do something naughty by restricting certain channels on the television and using parental controls to restrict certain websites on computers in common areas.
5. Come up with a theme – This makes entertainment easier. Kids can wear pajamas that play to the theme your kid has chosen. Also games and food can be tailored as well. For example, if the theme for a boy’s slumber party is pirates, they can watch pirate flicks, dress in pirate costumes; eat food that looks like pirate fare and the like. Even decorations can resemble a ship. Other theme ideas: princess party, dress up, cowboys, sports themes, fashion and fairy tale or Disney theme. It all depends on the age of the child hosting the party.
6. Set down some ground rules – This is for safety. No cooking after certain hours and no leaving the house after the parents go to bed.
Sleepovers can be a lot of fun. As a parent, make sure that kids are safe so that they can simply enjoy the night. Being prepared will make the entire event more enjoyable for everyone!