How can you tell when an initiative to turn one sixth of the economy over to the federal government has failed? One indicator is polling showing that public sentiment toward the measure has soured to the point where 7 out of 10 voters are worried about its impact. Another is when employers across the nation begin to cut jobs or employee hours as a workaround to the law’s strangling provisions.
But the most telling indicator that such a measure has failed is when a TV show ordinarily in the pocket of the president holds him up to ridicule for the law’s deleterious effects. This was the case last night when NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” devoted a segment to mocking Barack Obama’s signature healthcare law
Late night comedy show Saturday Night Live turned the tables on President Barack Obama and devoted an entire skit last night aimed at mocking his signature healthcare law.
The seven-minute routine, which can be viewed here, features a cast member delivering a speech as Obama, which highlights the supposed benefits of the law.
Yet, as individuals come forward to testify to the positives of Obamacare, they instead offer up zingers.
“Mr. Obama here, he made sure my son will never have to lift a finger here to get insurance,” one man proclaims. “I am psyched for Obamacare,” says another prospective enrollee in one of the exchanges set to launch on Tuesday, explaining “now that I have healthcare, I can get sick all the time!”
The show has come close in the past to making the president the butt of its jokes but seems always to have relented at the last moment. In 2012, for example, SNL’s writers wrote a send-up of Obama for taking personal credit for killing Osama bin Laden but at the eleventh hour went after Fox News — a frequent punching bag — instead.
- Five ways in which Obama doesn’t represent the American people
- A list of 313 employers that have cut hours, jobs due to Obamacare
- 5 reasons defunding Obamacare is smart politics
- Poll: Record number of Americans say federal government too powerful
- With Obama, it’s still all about him (Update)
- Obamacare doctor rationing begins in CA
- Obama’s bogus claim that non-budget items have ‘never’ been attached to debt ceiling
- Poll: 7 out of 10 voters concerned about Obamacare
- Poll: 92% of unionized federal workers don’t want Obamacare
- CNN poll: Support for Obamacare drops below 40%
- Obama: Everyone wrong to doubt Obamacare
- Obamacare: Walgreens dropping current coverage for 160,000 workers
- NBC scrubs SNL’s Chavez send-up
- SNL skewers Obama over sequester, handling of economy
- SNL kills sketch on Obama killing bin Laden, skewers FOX News instead (Photos)
- SNL’s send-up of Al Sharpton misses the funniest joke of all (Video)
- SNL: Osama bin Laden reading his last will and testament (Video)
- SNL Tebow skit: Jesus asks the QB to ‘take it down a notch’ (Video)
For more articles and headlines, be sure to check out Liberty Unyielding. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.