With the No-Win No-Fee claims culture showing no signs of slowing down, provoked by the media hype and endless adverts on television and elsewhere, businesses have to be more careful to watch their backs when working with employees, potential clients, and the general public.
Unfortunately, plenty of small businesses are ruined because of insufficient insurance coverage. Facing compensation and legal fees alone can be crippling, as well as, the damage to reputation that a claim can bring. While there are many insurance claims made every day across the UK and beyond, the chances of them being more bizarre than these ridiculous endeavors is slim to none.
Here are some of the weirdest:
- In Virginia, a woman alleged that she found a mouse in her soup and tried to claim half a million dollars compensation. However, further investigation found that the mouse didn’t have any soup in his lungs so it must have been placed there after it arrived at her table. She was imprisoned for a year for conspiracy to commit extortion.
- A Devon farmer claimed that he lost his phone in a cow’s backside, after helping the cow to calve during a dark night. The phone did make its return to the farmer (eventually), but it didn’t work properly. He was awarded full compensation.
- An American pensioner took it upon herself to make insurance claims a career, claiming 49 times for personal injuries that occurred in various business establishments. She was eventually caught and was sentenced to house arrest for four years, but not before damage had been done to the finances and reputations of the businesses that she targeted.
- An Italian lady whose dress caught fire after standing a little too close to a barbecue on her wedding day was awarded 50 percent of the compensation claim. Her groom threw her into the sea to extinguish the flames.
- In Bristol, a woman tried to make an insurance claim after the vibration on her mobile phone had stopped working. While this wouldn’t normally be an issue, she was claiming compensation because it had stopped working as an adult toy. She didn’t win the case.
- A man from North Carolina insured a luxurious box of cigars against water damage, storm damage and fire and wondered why, when he tried to claim that his cigars were lost in a series of fires, he was met with raised brows. Despite initially winning the case, he was eventually arrested and sent to jail. He was also fined $24,000 for 24 counts of arson.
- A man was awarded full compensation after a Christmas tree hadn’t been tied properly to the car in front and ended up heading trunk first for his windscreen. He veered off the road because of the incident and was repaid all damages in full.
It just goes to show that you can never be too careful. If you’re a business owner, the last thing you want to be sued for is finding a dead mouse in soup you served, or something just as diabolical! Make sure that you have all the relevant insurance policies so that, whatever happens, you won’t have to tackle claims, either bogus or genuine, on your own.
Note: This article was written in conjunction with Hiscox, a leading provider of business insurance. What type of business insurance products are there? Take a look online to see what covers apply to your business and apply for a competitive quote for business insurance from Hiscox.