Food experts say it’s actually better to make pasta noodles homemade which is not hard to do. All it takes is time and patience.
Homemade White Whole Wheat Pasta:
1. Use a half cup of King Arthur’s brand white whole wheat flour and one cup of King Arthur’s unbleached self-rising flour. Mix and sift flour ingredients together. Add one teaspoon of kosher salt with a half teaspoon of black pepper.
2. Use egg whites from four large eggs and mix contents with a fourth cup of extra virgin olive oil. Make a well in the center of flour bowl; pour in wet ingredients slowly.
3. Use a fork to lightly begin incorporating the flour. Pour in a fourth cup of ice cold water. Add in one tablespoon of sour cream and viola!
Shape and Make Pasta:
4. Knead dough for two minutes, roll dough until it becomes thin. Fold dough in half over once, roll out into a sheet again. Use wax paper to cover the sheet of dough and refrigerate for one hour.
5. Remove dough from the refrigerator, wait for dough to arrive at room temperature and start kneading.
6. Use a rolling pin or for quicker results use a pasta machine. Thin flour into a sheet; keep rolling the dough until it becomes thin enough that it develops a sheer appearance.
7. Cut dough into half inch by one inch rectangular shapes. Fold each strip over to form little pasta tubes; kind of like mini straws.
8. Boil five cups of spring water with a half teaspoon of kosher salt in a four quart stock pot drizzled with olive oil.
9. Slowly place half of the pasta noodles in boiling water and cook until past becomes tender.
10. Once the first batch of pasta is complete, add the rest of the uncooked pasta to finish. Do not overcook noodles or they will become hard. Pasta should cook on medium heat for approximately five minutes.
11. Rinse and drain pasta noodles in cool water and set to the side. Now it’s time to make the goat cheese sauce.
Tomato Basil Goat Cheese Sauce
8 Roman tomatoes
1 tablespoon of minced basil leaves
¼ cup of minced parsley
½ teaspoon of oregano
½ teaspoon of minced garlic
½ teaspoon of kosher salt
¼ cup of minced red peppers
½ cup of minced red onions
1 cup of vegetable broth
½ cup of thinly shredded or minced goat cheese
1/4 cup of fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Roast tomatoes in an oven on broil for two minutes.
2. Allow tomatoes to cool and slice in quarters. Add tomatoes to a blender with all ingredients except goat cheese and Parmesan cheese.
3. Blend sauce for about one to two minutes until lightly thickens. Pour sauce into a sauce pan and simmer on low heat covered.
4. Start slowly mixing in the Parmesan cheese. Allow sauce to simmer on low heat for one minute.
5. Set sauce to the side to cool. Preheat pasta on low heat and drain. Place pasta on a dish; top with sauce and garnish with goat cheese.
If times becomes an issue, feel free to use packaged pasta.
Learn Italian 1-2-3:
Belissima: means beautiful in feminine form
Bel uomo: is masculine ; meaning handsome