Parents and families are important in the special education process. Too often the schools are at a loss of what occurs at home when no parents come to the meetings that take place. Parental voice is also absent when it comes to setting laws or are in service coordination across the state. In an effort to eliminate this barrier the Special Kids Network has started the parent and professional forums. Below is the latest information:
3535 Market Street, 16th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19104
Saturday, October 19, 2013 11am –3pm
(light lunch provided)
PLEASE JOIN US FOR A PARENT YOUTH PROFESSIONAL FORUM
The Department of Health’s Special Kids Network, in partnership with the PA Elks Home Service Program, will host a free Parent Youth Professional Forum (PYPF).
• Serve as a gathering place for youth and families of children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN) and disabilities, community service providers, and other stakeholders
• Provide opportunities to discuss overarching issues that concern all children and youth with special health care needs and disabilities
• Include time to network with others
• Seek to increase awareness of and access to comprehensive information about services and programs for CYSHCN and disabilities
Children, Youth and Young Adults with Special Health Care Needs: What Youth and Caregivers Need to Know about Advocating for Health Care Presented by Symme Trachtenberg, MSW, LSW
Director, Community Education, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
• Find out why Self-Care and Self-Advocacy are the keys to receiving successful healthcare
• Learn how to best navigate health care systems
• Hear about how a Care Binder can help to improve healthcare
“Advocacy, Barrier Removal, Community Resources, & Empowerment all at your reach through Liberty Resources Statewide Youth Transitioning Initiative. YSI offers an opportunity for youth to sharpen their leadership skills while covering many advocacy topics/issues.” Presented by: Mary Beth Morgan, Youth Transitioning Coordinator, Liberty Resources Inc.
Please contact Diane Perry by Thursday, October 17, 2013 if you plan to attend.
Reimbursement to Families and Youth is available for travel and childcare
Phone: 814-270-5618 Fax: 484-540-3487 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please forward this information to others who may be interested in participating.
The meeting site is wheelchair accessible
PLEASE BE THE VOICE FOR CHILDREN!!!