In a meeting with 18 mayors from across the country Tuesday, President Obama promised to push gun control through executive action while pressing Congress to pass anti-gun bills he can support.
According to a White House readout, mayors met with Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder to discuss strategies designed to reduce youth violence.
“The President reiterated that government alone can never fill the void that causes a child to turn to violence, but that we all have a responsibility to do our part to create safe communities and save lives,” the readout said.
“The President applauded the mayors for their local efforts to combat violence, solicited their input about proven methods, and pledged his Administration’s partnership. He also vowed to continue doing everything in his power to combat gun violence through executive action and to press Congress to pass common-sense reforms like expanding the background check system and cracking down on gun trafficking,” the White House added.
Twitchy noted that Cory Booker, the mayor of Newark, N.J. was present, but Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel was conspicuously absent, as was Michael Bloomberg, the co-chair of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
The Twitchy staff also reminded readers that Obama has confessed that he’s constrained by the Constitution from doing more on gun control.
“I am constrained by a system our founders put in place,” Obama said in April while speaking in Denver, dismissing concerns that gun control legislation could be a stepping stone to gun confiscation.
Tuesday’s meeting was closed to the press, Twitchy added.
- Gun rights advocate: Obama said people shouldn’t be able to own guns
- Gun company ad compares Obama to Stalin and Hitler, warns of tyranny
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
- Global gun control? Critics warn U.N. treaty would undermine U.S. gun rights
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Philadelphia fifth-grader searched, threatened, called a murderer over paper gun
- NY Democrat begs Republican to keep gun confiscation proposal from public
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein admits: Goal of gun ban is to ‘dry up’ supply of weapons (Video)
- Six-year-old suspended from school for making finger gun, saying ‘pow’
- Five-year-old named terrorist threat, suspended after threat to shoot bubbles
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.