After Saturday’s announcement that he would seek Congressional approval for an attack on Syria, President Obama and Vice President Biden went golfing, the Weekly Standard reported, citing a tweet from NBC News’ Carrie Dann.
“From the pool: Obama and Biden are now playing golf,” she tweeted.
According to Daniel Halper, an update to the pool report said Obama arrived at Fort Belvoir, Va., at 3 p.m. to play golf with Biden, trip director and frequent golf partner Marvin Nicholson and Walter Nicholson.
“I gotta say, after day’s confusing Syria news, this looks tone deaf,” one person said on Twitter.
Earlier in the day, Obama announced his decision to strike Syria, but said he would seek approval from Congress, something he refused to do during the Libyan conflict that ended with the death of dictator Moammar Khaddafi.
“I have decided that the U.S. should take military action against Syrian military targets,” he said, adding that such action would be limited in duration and scope. “This will not be an open ended intervention. We would not put boots on the ground.”
“Like 15 of the 18 presidents since Theodore Roosevelt, the president is known to be an avid golfer. But although he has not hit the links with anything near the frequency of some of his predecessors, the hobby has become an occasional target by critics who contend it displays an out-of-touch character,” ABC News said.
While Obama’s supporters said the president deserves a break, Breitbart’s Mike Flynn had a different opinion.
“I’m not an expert in foreign policy, but I can think of a few things a President ought to do after requesting authority for a military strike on a sovereign nation,” he wrote, suggesting Obama brief Congressional leaders or contact leaders of other countries.
“No doubt generals in the military would have a thought or two about how things should proceed,” he added. “An hour after announcing a potential new military venture in the Middle East, with unknown consequences, ‘5 Wood or 2 Iron’ is the last thing I want on a President’s mind.”
- Obama: ‘I have decided’ to strike Syria, seek Congressional approval (Video)
- Sen. Ted Cruz: ‘Arrogant’ Obama administration pushing Obamacare, war in Syria
- Obama angers many with reference to ‘my military’
- Obama meets with Magic Johnson, snubs Congress on Syria
- Obama weighing two-day military strike against Syria
- Poll: Only 17 percent see President Obama as a strong military leader
- Ted Cruz: Will Obama do background checks before giving arms to Syrian rebels?
- President Obama fiddles as the world burns
- Reporter to WH: ‘Doesn’t there come a point where you have to make a decision?’
- UK paper asks: Is Barack Obama the weakest President in history?
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.