At a time in our nation’s history when the federal government has damaged its reputation worldwide, there are citizens in the community who are about the business of pursuing noble purposes as non profit enterprises. One aspect of their existence is based upon writing grant proposals to prospective sponsors, many of which are foundations.
Foundations are formed by donors who make capital available to non profit organizations to fund worthy needs. A mixer was held at Arlington County Public Library this evening for the purpose of bringing non profits together to meet one another in the event that they may want to partner.
In addition, a representative of the Foundation Center was present. 550 foundations support the Foundation Center that organizes philanthropy. The Foundation Center provides a library and resources that assist nonprofits write effective grant proposals.
When government institutions fall short in addressing community needs, and people find themselves in hopeless circumstances, foundations and non profit organizations become a nexus for addressing unique needs and circumstances.
From experience, here is a significant lesson shared to assist organizations contemplating grant requests.
1. Sources of funding want to see a clear path of responsibility for the administration and use of funds to ensure that they are applied to produce defined outcomes.
2. Complementary organizations may collaborate in seeking funds together, however the concept of operations must demonstrate clearly defined roles, responsibilities, and work delineation for management accountability.
3. Synergy is a good concept, but can be a complex challenge to achieve without detailed plans.
There was a large turnout at the mixer in Arlington County this evening. Participants were from diverse organizations. The next step in this public supported event is grant writing training and an opportunity to use Foundation Center resources to produce successful grant proposals.
What you will find at the library:
Grants Research at the Central Library
Funding Information Network Partner of the Foundation Center
- Online access to the Foundation Center’s Grant to Individuals & Foundation Directory Online Professional grant makers and opportunities
- Dedicated online research computer
- Non profit meeting room by reservation
- Events and fundraising resources
- Help desk
Resources support from Foundation Center: http://foundationcenter.org/about/
Arlington Public Library
Central Library – Second Floor
1015 Quincy Street
Arlington VA 22201