Back in the days of DOS systems, I played a prank on one of my Army compatriots. He was not a fan of technology and I thought it would be a fun late Friday laugh. I found a program I could run in the bootup of his machine which dropped to a DOS window and made a loud and long flushing sound with the note that his data was being deleted. Based on the dragon’s fire that came from his cubicle when he turned on his computer, it was not a successful prank and one I would not repeat.
Google takes a different approach, however, and over the last several years, they have released a number of easter eggs in their offerings.
1. Tardis – Here’s one that caught my eye when I heard about it. I have been a fan of the new BBC Dr. Who series since it was released. The Tardis is Dr. Who’s time machine that spirits him about. It has the look of a normal London Police call box. Google Maps has provided us with a clever look at the interior of the Tardis.
(Click on the double arrows to enter the Tardis…)
2. Zerg Rush – In the game Starcraft, the Zerg are a ruthless amalgamation of aliens dedicated to genetic perfection. Some Zerg are more perfect than others and a standard tactic was to mass a horde of low cost level one units to destroy an opponent early in the game. Google has immortalized this tactic with the Zerg Rush search which takes the letter ‘o’ in Google, replicating them, and launching them against the text on the search page to devour it. The ‘o’s can be destroyed by clicking on each ‘o’ three times… but good luck with that….
3. *TILT* – Go to Google and type “tilt” or “askew”. Probably not comforting if you live near an earthquake fault.
4. Binary – To see if you are truly a geek, go to Google and type “binary.” Can you find the humor?
5. Beatbox – Google has the rhythm. Click on the link to the left, then click on the speaker icon in the left hand side of the page to hear Google’s (clean) beat.
6. PacMan – The game came out right when we bought our first house so even a $0.25 cent per play game was too much for my budget so I never got hooked on this like so many of my peers. This is a rectangular board in the “doodle” area of the page which is a functioning game. It’s good for a laugh or a quick 5 minute distraction (no, I’m *still* not any good at it!)
7. Barrel Roll – Go to Google and type “do a barrel roll” into the search box,but don’t be surprised if you don’t get all the way through….
3rd party (non-Google) Google Tricks
8. Google Sphere – Wrap the Google search page text into a spinning sphere.
8. Google Gravity – Search quickly here…
9. NoChuckNorris – Chuck Norris has always been a hit with college aged men. Now Google enshrines this fascination.
10. Epic Google – A larger than life saga in the style of Cecil B. DeMille this is not, but instead a possible dig at Google!
So there you have it. Ten fun little time wasters to brighten your day!