While millions of Americans around the country get ready to celebrate another Halloween “howliday,” the evening before Halloween is also a special occasion. Oct. 30 is Mischief Night, also known as Devil’s Night, Trick Night or Cabbage Night. The annual event is believed to have started in England back in the 19th century. Legend has it that fairies or spirits were often blamed for pranks and mischief that took place during the wee hours of Oct. 30.
Think Before You Prank
While Mischief Night should be an evening filled with harmless fun in anticipation of the Halloween holiday, some pranks and practical jokes are not harmless. Although toilet papering someone’s yard, soaping windows or smashing pumpkins may seem funny to the prankster, they make a great big mess for the recipient. Egging houses and/or vehicles can permanently damage siding and paint resulting in a pretty hefty repair bill.
On Oct. 30, 1994, hundreds of fires were set in Detroit leaving several families homeless. It is important to note some mischievous acts such as arson, criminal damage or vandalism are considered criminal acts which may result in stiff penalties, court costs, probation, community service and/or jail time.
The Halloween holiday should be a good time for all neighborhood ghosts, goblins or ghouls. If you happen to notice anything suspicious in your neck-of-the-woods, be sure to contact your local law enforcement agency. It is also important to remember our four-legged friends during Halloween. Please keep your pets inside during the Halloween holiday and be sure to check out the Top 10 Halloween Pet Safety Tips for Fido & Fluffy.
Oct. 30 is also National Candy Corn Day and Pumpkin Bread Day. For more Halloween fun, please visit:
- Free Pumpkin Carving Patterns & Stencils for a Spookacular Halloween
- Hottest Halloween costumes: Dress like a celebrity for a twerkin’ trick-or-treat time
- Top 10 ‘Howl-ween’ Pet Safety Tips: Keep Fido and Fluffy Safe on Halloween
- 35 Orange & Black Halloween Recipes – Spooky dishes, desserts, treats & cocktails
- Halloween cakes and cupcakes: 20 creepy cupcakes & “spooktacular” cakes
- 20 Halloween cocktails: Defrightful drinks, creepy cocktails and spooky shots
- Halloween Trick-or-Treat Safety Tips: Keep little ghosts and goblins safe on Halloween