Keeping your carpet clean can be challenge, especially in houses or businesses with high foot traffic and/or pets. Keeping a clean carpet, however, can improve the appearance of the carpet, the health of the people who use it, and increase the selling value of the home or business the carpet is in. Follow these tips to keep your carpet clean.
1. Treat a stain immediately after it occurs. While the spill or accident is still wet, absorb as much of the liquid as possible with a clean rag. Then soak the area with carpet cleaner. Wait a few minutes for the cleaner to soak into the carpet, then absorb the excess moisture with a clean rag. Repeat this process until the stain is gone, but make sure to keep the area wet until you are done with carpet cleaning. Allowing the stain to dry will make it much harder, if not impossible, to clean later.
2. Use a commercial product to protect your carpet. There are several different brands of repellant and protector on the market today. While these products will not prevent every accident from causing a stain, they will cut down on the amount of carpet cleaning you have to do. Many carpets today come with one of these products already sprayed onto them, but it is important to retreat your carpets at least once every five years, since these products can wear off or lose their effectiveness over time.
3. Use a carpet shampoo. There are several brands of dry shampoo on the market that do a good job removing ground in dirt. Unlike older shampoos, these products do not require a special machine to use them. Ideally, treat your carpets with one of these products about once every three months. They will be most effective if used regularly. Do not wait until a carpet is filthy before using them.
4. Vacuum regularly. Vacuuming a carpet may seem like one obvious tips to keep your carpet clean, but it is one of the most important. Even areas with low traffic can get dust that will settle into the carpet fibers. Over time, this dust and dirt becomes much more difficult to remove as it sinks to the bottom of the carpet. By vacuuming regularly, this dust doesn’t sink into the carpet, keeping it looking newer and cleaner longer.
You should note that many consumer studies have found that most vacuums on the market do a good job sucking up the dirt and other debris in a carpet. Don’t feel like you have to buy the most expensive model of vacuum on the market in order to keep your carpet clean.
5. Invest in professional carpet cleaning at least once a year. Professional steam cleaning will remove a lot of the ground in dirt in a carpet, as well as many allergens that get trapped in the carpet fibers. Many carpet cleaners run specials throughout the year. Carpets in high traffic areas may need a professional carpet cleaner to visit them twice a year.