Anna Augusto was kind enough to stop by and visit with us today. She is an author with Black Rose Writing and has an upcoming release scheduled for October 31, 2013.
1) Hi Anna. I understand that your new novel is getting ready to be released. Please tell us a little about it.
My upcoming new release, ‘The Imbondeiro Tree,’ is the story of my father’s life growing up in the Azores Islands of Portugal, his adventures in Angola, Africa, and his experiences as an immigrant in the United States. It is a memoir told through his voice.
2) What a wonderful gesture. What did your father do and what makes his story unique? What inspired you to write the story?
My father had the courage to leave the only home he had ever known in the Azores and embark on a journey to the unknown, and untamed continent of Africa. There, he experienced joy and heartache.
3) That sounds interesting. Do you have any new projects in the works?
I have a few other projects going on at the moment. This includes ‘Mausoleum,’ a ghost story set in Hell’s Kitchen of New York City. In this story, I’ve interwoven the paranormal with history.
4) I love a good paranormal experience. Would you say that you a plotter or a pantser? Explain.
I think I’m a plotter. I don’t create organized outlines, but I do come up with the main, climatic event in a story and then build around that. I need the focus and direction; otherwise I tend to ramble on aimlessly when I write. For example, I thought up the main plot of ‘Mausoleum’ while dreaming. I woke up and wrote down all the things I could remember.
5) Where is your favorite place to write? Do you need total silence or can you write anywhere?
I can write anywhere as long as no one demands my attention in any way. I love to write while listening to loud 80’s music and Hard Rock, though. Journey and Metallica, just to name a few, inspire me!
6) Well, that explains why you can write anywhere. Tell us something about yourself that not too many people know.
I was actually born in Angola along with my two siblings; we left when I was six years old. I have very vivid memories of it and would love to return someday to visit. I also speak fluent Portuguese and am a single mom with two great kids. Finally, I’m pursuing my master’s degree in history. I love history! Almost as much as I love strong coffee.
7) Thank you so much, Anna, for agreeing to share your story with my readers. Please tell us where we can find your books.
My book will be available for purchase at www.blackrosewriting.com, www.amazon.com, www.bn.com, and hopefully anywhere else books are sold.