Happy Labor Day, GR8RJax™!
Since Tuesday, September 5, 1882, the United States has celebrated Labor Day on the first Monday in September.
Historical records show that Peter J. McGuire of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners – and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor – was the first American to suggest a day to honor American workers “who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold.”
In short, we get a day off in celebration of labor unions winning all of us the right to work for a fair wage in healthy safe working conditions.
While here in Greater Jacksonville we might wish for a wider selection of special events to honor our contributions to local, state and federal tax coffers, area offerings scheduled for Labor Day weekend are nothing if not eclectic.
Hot dogs, anyone?
- 31st Annual Labor Day Catfish Festival – Sat., Aug. 31-Mon., Sept. 2. Downtown Kingsland, Ga. along U.S. 17 & Georgia 40. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Big Labor Day Parade at 10 a.m. Monday. Festival includes booths, live entertainment, arts and crafts, antiques and collectibles, family amusement and a classic car, truck and tractor exhibition. For more information, please call 912-729-5999 or visitkingsland.com.
- Crafts at the Creek – Sat., Aug. 31, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Julington Creek Plantation (Plantation Park just across from the Champions Club), 875 Davis Pond Blvd., St. Johns, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Outdoor “Craft & Gift Fair” for Labor Day weekend. For more information, please visit www.jcpcdd.org.
- The Great Ponte Vedra Paddle Benefiting HEAL – Mond., Sept. 2, 8 a.m.-Noon. Micklers Landing Beach Access, 1109 Ponte Vedra Blvd., Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Admission: Kids 12 & under FREE, Ages 12-21 $25.00, 21+ years old $35.00, Family Registration for 3 or more $70.00. Stand Up Paddleboard event where you can either choose to race 1 mile, 3 miles, or in the “If It Floats You’re In” challenge. All proceeds benefit the HEAL Foundation, a non-profit that benefits those living with autism and their families in the Greater Jacksonville Area. www.greatPVpaddle.com
- Labor Day Beach Bash – Sun., Sept. 1, 7-10 p.m. At the beach, Tybee Island, Ga. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Includes live music by the Swingin’ Medallions and fireworks at 9:15 p.m. from the Pier and Pavilion.
- Labor Daze Fest – Sun., Sept 1, 4-10 p.m. Bo Diddley Community Plaza, 111 E. University Ave., Gainesville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Live music – folk, bluegrass, rock & soul – from Ricky Kendall, Nook & Cranny, Mama Trish vs. Godzilla!, Savants of Soul, & Stereo Vudu. FREE massage. FREE rock wall. FREE activities tire out the kids so you can sleep in on Labor Day. Info on services from job training & job matching, to assisted living, medical & family services. 50 vendors! $1 raffle with 30 awesome prizes! Plus hula hooping, wandering minstrels, jugglers, LED poi, puppets and more. For more information, please call 352-393-7527.
- Patriot Golf Days – Through Mon., Sept. 2, 10 a.m. daily. World Golf Hall of Fame, One World Golf Place, St. Augustine, Fla. Admission: Donations made at box office. The World Golf Hall of Fame joins the PGA of America in support of the annual Patriot Golf Days to benefit the Folds of Honor Foundation, www.FoldsofHonor.org. Folds of Honor provides post-secondary scholarships for children and spouses of military service personnel killed or disabled while serving. From Aug. 30 – Sept. 2, the World Golf Hall of Fame will match donations from visitors collected at the box office for Folds of Honor (some restrictions apply). For more information, please call the World Golf Village at 904-940-4033 or visit www.worldgolfhalloffame.org.
- Ultimate Tailgate Party Labor Day Celebration, Fri. Aug. 30-Sun., Sept. 1. Rousakis Riverfront Plaza, 115 E. River St., Savannah, Ga. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Includes arts and crafts, college football on the large screens, games and food. For more information, please call 912-234-0295 or riverstreetsavannah.com.
- VFW Labor Day Picnic – Mon., Sept. 2, Noon-1:30 p.m. VFW, 47 Old Kings Road N., Palm Coast, Fla. Admission: $11 in advance, $12 at the door. Hot dogs, hamburgers, salads and more will be served. Music and dancing. For more information, please call 386-446-8696.
©2013 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com