When golfers turn to Sean Joyce for swing tips and course management guidance, they take lessons that are long on developing confidence in their short games.
“Shooting good scores and lowering one’s handicap is a by-product of a strong short game,” said Joyce, an associate golf professional at The Marshes Golf Club. “Players who can score well aren’t afraid to hit it all over the yard, they know they can get it up and down and take advantage of scoring chances. It takes a while for some golfers to understand this.”
While Joyce lists short game prowess as the key to achieving better scores for mid to low handicappers, the Class “A” member of the PGA of Canada has a well-known reputation for introducing and providing direction to folks who are taking up the game or those players just looking to have more fun on the course.
At The Marshes’ full service Practice Facility and Learning Centre, he teaches the basics of all the shots students will be standing over when they’re on their favourite tracks.
The facility features 1.85 acres of grass tee decks from which golfers are able to take aim at seven target greens that range in distance from 50 to 350 yards.
And there’s a 9,500 sq.-ft. putting green as well as a 2,500 sq.-ft. chipping green complete with a greenside bunker.
Joyce is a graduate of the Professional Golf Management program at Holland College and a Titleist Performance Institute Certified golf fitness instructor.
Before he came onboard at The Marshes, Joyce taught at The Canadian Golf Academy in PEI and was the assistant coach of the Holland College Hurricanes golf team.
His resume includes having earned club-fitting certifications from Ping, Titleist and Mizuno.
- Favourite golfer – Ben Hogan. He set the standard for the modern tour professional.
- Favourite golf club – Though it’s very cliché, my favourite club is the one I have in my hand.
- Favourite hole – No. 10 at Pippy Park in St. John’s Newfoundland.
- Favourite food – Anything I don’t have to cook.
- Favourite movie – The Big Lebowski
- Favourite TV show – The X-Files
- Favourite actor – Clint Eastwood
- Favourite pastime away from the course – For the longest time I never had a pastime away from the course, it was golf 24/7. Now it has become family time with my wife and two-year-old son.
- Best moment while playing golf – My first professional victory in 2008. I won in a playoff with my father caddying. It was a special day.
For lesson details, e-mail email@example.com.