With the opening of the 2013 football season upon us, we asked ourselves, how did the University of South Carolina become known as the Gamecocks? Well, read on.
According to gamecocksonline.com, the University’s athletic teams have been known as the Gamecocks for over 100 years. Prior to 1900, University athletic teams were known by a variety of nicknames. In 1903, the State newspaper began using the name “Gamecocks” and it’s has been used ever since. One other connection is the nickname of General Thomas Sumter,a revolutionary war guerilla fighter who was known as the “Fighting Gamecock.” A “gamecock” for the uninitiated, is a fighting rooster known for spirit and courage.
The university colors of garnet and black have been used for over 100 years. The colors are the dominant ones on the gamecock.
Of course, no USC athletic event is complete without an appearance from Cocky, the University mascot. Cocky succeeded his father, Big Spur, in 1980 as the official university mascot and has become one of the most recognizable figures at USC. Cocky appears at all USC home and away football and basketball games and home baseball games. In 1986, 1994 and 2004, Cocky was named Mascot of the Year and is recognized as one of the most colorful mascots in collegiate athletics.
Oh, by the way, the first game of football season is August 29. at 6:00 p.m. as the Gamecocks take on the North Carolina Tar Heels at William-Brice Stadium in Columbia. For those who can’t be there, the game will be on ESPN (Time Warner channel 26 or 1500 for HD)
Become a friend or follower.
If you would like to receive email updates when new articles are posted, please click the “subscribe” button at the top of the page.
If you enjoyed this article, please check my Examiner page here.
Williams-Brice Stadium will be jumping as the Gamecocks open the season against the North Carolina Tar Heels on August 29. The stadium was originally built in the 1930s and has been expanded to its current capacity of 80,250 over time.
Colonial Life Arena
Coach Frank Martin is getting ready for his second season as Gamecock Head Coach at the Colonial Life Arena. The arena opened in 2002 and was originally called the Carolina Center. It replaced the Carolina Coliseum as the Gamecocks home court.
For a quieter moment, take a stroll on the USC Horseshoe, the oldest part of the campus. The Maxcy Monument is is memory of Rev. Jonathan Maxcy, the first President of South Carolina College, the forerunner of the University of South Carolina.
The Caroliniana Library on the USC Horseshoe was the original University Library until 1940. It continues to serve as one of the special collection and research libraries of the University system.