As great as it is to enjoy great seafood in Fort Myers, Florida there comes a time when a vacation is needed. One of the greatest things about vacationing is finding different cuisines and restaurants. Traveling affords someone with many opportunities to enjoy things they may not find at home. Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your traveling experience.
- Avoid Chains – Sure chain restaurants will be familiar but take the opportunity to get outside of your comfort zone and you will likely find some real gems!
- Ask Locals – Don’t be afraid to ask the locals where they like to eat. This will not only help you find those restaurants off the beaten path but they are often more reasonably priced than the tourist traps.
- Be Open Minded – Different areas have foods that are unique to them and you will likely find things you have never had. What better time to expand your experiences! Just as people love to sample the gator tail in Florida, there are also unique things elsewhere. At the very least you should order an appetizer that is different if you are a bit nervous about having an entire meal of something new. Some restaurants are happy to put together a sampler platter as well even if it is not on the menu.
- Budget Minded – If you are trying to keep your budget low on dining keep in mind that often lunch prices are lower so it can be a great idea to make lunch your big meal of the day and then just have something light at dinner. Often you can cut out or limit breakfast costs by taking advantage of a hotel free breakfast or just pick up some fruit at a roadside stand or supermarket. Often restaurants have early bird specials also and these can be a great way to save some money.
- Ethic Options – Not all areas of the country have some of the ethnic options available so if you see something while you are traveling you should give it a try. For example, Ethiopian restaurants are a unique experience because you get to eat your entire meal with your fingers! What a great way to get in touch with your inner child.
- Expectations – Leave your expectations at home because everything you are accustomed to there can be different on the road. The key is not to assume anything and communicate with your server to be sure you know what you are getting. For example, ordering ice tea will automatically get you sweet tea in some areas and unsweetened in others. Terminology can vary also such as ‘Chicken Fried’ may indicate actual fried chicken on one menu and actually be chicken fried steak on another.
The main thing to remember when you vacation somewhere other than Fort Myers, Florida is that you are on vacation and should do whatever makes your vacation memorable and exciting. Go ahead and take photos of that unique food you ordered because you might just want to go back and have it again one day! Happy Travels!