It’s the time of year to get a life, Chicago Catholics.
On October 6th, Catholics and other Christian groups will gather together in public to form Life Chains on sidewalks across the U.S.A. and Canada. These Life Chains will occur in over 1800 cities and towns, and most will run 2:00 to 3:30pm. Life Chains are instrumental in promoting the pro-life cause because they help change hearts and minds. For example, more than 90% of women who have had an abortion say they wish they hadn’t, and that they wouldn’t have gotten one if they had received the right information. Without question, Life Chains bring the pro-life message to thousands of people. If you’ve never been to one, consider joining a Life Chain in your area this year.
To cite an example, Catholics in southwest suburban Cook County can join the local life chain in Orland Park, Illinois. It will take place at 96th Avenue (LaGrange Rd.) from 143rd street to 153rd street. Those who participate in the Life Chain will hold signs and stand in silent witness for 90 minutes to bring attention to the right to life. Many local parishes and organizations, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, are expressing support for this event. Examples include the Knights of Columbus Council #10858, St. George Catholic Parish in Tinley Park, Church of Christ in Worth, St. Stephen in Tinley Park, Parker Road Bible Church in Mokena, Annunciation in Homer Glen, and St. Francis of Assisi in Orland Park – among many others. The Life Chain is being promoted in parish bulletins as part of “Pro Life Sunday”. Here is one such letter that Fr. Paul Burak of St. Michael wrote to his parishioners, encouraging their participation:
Recently, I received a letter from Father Ken Fleck, pastor of St. George Parish and Life Chain representative. He welcomes us to Life chain 2013—a silent protest against abortion. This is the 24th year that many churches are invited to come together to give silent witness. This will take place on Sunday, October 6th from 2:00PM to 3:30PM. The silent protest takes place on 96thAvenue (LaGrange Road) in Orland Park from 143rd to 153rd. This is a peaceful, prayerful support for the Culture of Life, using signs with various messages to support life—many bring their entire family to participate in the Life Chain… Saint Michael will be standing on the east side of LaGrange Road between 146th Street and 147th Street. We will be standing before South Fork, Baker’s Square and Subway. We will be joining Church of Christ from Worth, St. Stephen, Parker Road Bible Church and St. Francis of Assisi—all designated to stand in this space.
Please take this to prayer and see if you feel the call of the Lord to be part of this prayerful, silent protest…………
And in another direction –I am sure you all are aware that next weekend we will be celebrating our annual Fall Fest.This is a major fund raiser for our school. A lot of good-willed people put in a lot of work to prepare for this four-day joyful celebration. Please come and support all their efforts. This is a great opportunity to join in community, have a lot of fun, receive great entertainment, and celebrate the ending of summer and the beginning of fall. I hope to see you there—you can always buy me a glass of beer—or even better, (for me) a glass of wine.
– Rev. Paul Burak
The Orland Park Life Chain is being organized by William Beckman, who can be contacted via phone at (312) 422-9300 or (708) 429-2762. For my many Chicago area readers who may reside elsewhere in the Chicago area, consider attending a Life Chain that is local to your community. I am providing a list of local Life Chains throughout northeastern Illinois, taken straight from the website LifeChain.net. It is reprinted here for your convenience:
LIFE CHAIN EVENTS – OCTOBER 6, 2013
- ARLINGTON HEIGHTS – Euclid Ave at Walnut Ave, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; David Bergquist 847-284-6865
- AURORA – E. New York St at Oakhurst Dr, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Chuck Jones 630-896-3826
- BELVIDERE – State Street Bridge, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.; Dennis Sullivan 815-914-1462
- BERWYN – Ogden Ave at Harlem Ave, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Mary Ann Pater 708-484-1204
- BROOKFIELD – Ogden Ave at Prairie Ave, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- CHICAGO – ASHLAND AVE, at Cullerton St, 1:00 to 3:30 p.m.; Liz Gonzalez 312-421-7647
- CHICAGO / BRIGHTON PARK – Archer Ave at California Ave, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Casey Niedos 773-927-0322
- CRYSTAL LAKE – Rte 14 at Teckler Blvd, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Nancy Cole 815-455-7265
- DARIEN / WOODRIDGE / DOWNERS GROVE – 75th St west of Lemont Rd, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Betty Girdwain 630-963-0654
- GLEN ELLYN – Roosevelt Rd at Finley Rd, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Carol Wright 630-469-2165
- GRAYSLAKE – 1350 State Rt 137 in front of Crossroads Church, 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.; Gail Bordley 847-362-7120
- GRAYSLAKE / DOWNTOWN – Rt 120 between Lake St and Rt 83, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.; Ann-Marie Miller 847-212-9297
- GURNEE – Gages Lake Rd at Hunt Club Rd, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Meegan McNulty 847-855-0117
- HANOVER PARK – Irving Park Rd at East Ave, 2:30 to 4:00 p.m.; Maureen Deitche 630-935-8158
- HARVARD – Rt 14 at Rt 173, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.; Richard Kirchner 815-770-0160
- HINSDALE – York Rd south of Ogden Ave, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Maureen Sager 708-352-5834
- INGLESIDE – Rt 59 at Wilson Rd, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Janet McEwen 847-546-8461
- JOLIET – Six Corners at Raynor and Rt 30, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Karen Hatfield 815-744-6339
- LA GRANGE – Ogden Ave at LaGrange Rd, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Wayne & Marianne Hamilton 708-579-0118
- LAKE VILLA – Milwaukee Ave (Hwy 83) south of Grand Ave (Hwy 132), 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Henry Potrykus 847-388-5570
- LANSING – Ridge Rd at Calumet Ave, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.; Cathy Dziubla 219-838-1138 or Dorothy Springer 219-838-1138
- LIBERTYVILLE – Rt 176 (Park Ave) at Rt 21 (Milwaukee Ave), 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.; meet at Formation Center at 1:30 p.m.; Renee Tam 847-680-6652
- LISLE – Ogden Ave at Main St, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Carole Gassett 630-960-2916
- McHENRY – Rt 31 / Richmond Rd at Pearl, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; signs at St Mary Church at 2:00 p.m.; Karen Verr 815-363-0408
- MORRIS – Rt 47 (Division St) at Jefferson St, signs at 118 E Jefferson St, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Marilou Warrick 815-942-5575 or Renee Zettek 815-941-9121
- MUNDELEIN – US Rt 45 (Lake St) at Courtland St, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Margaret (Peggy) Feinendegen 847-566-7658
- NAPERVILLE – Ogden Ave at Washington, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; JoAnne Mehon 630-357-6876
- NEW LENOX – Cedar Rd at Rt 30, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Melinda Grundhofer 815-424-0371
- RIVERSIDE – Ogden Ave at Harlem Ave, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Katie Kruse 708-442-7515
- ST. CHARLES – Rt 64 (Main St) from Kirk Rd to 3rd Ave, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Revecca Hendershott 847-309-5656
- ST. CHARLES – Rt 64 (North Ave) at 5th St, Sun, Oct 14, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Larry & Karen Johnson 630-513-0911
- WAUCONDA – Rt 176 at Mill St half mile east of Rt 12, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Mary Ann Fijalkiewicz 847-526-7101
- WAUKEGAN – Washington St at Orchard Ave, 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.; Pastor George Jones 847-336-0664
- WEST DUNDEE / NORTHERN KANE COUNTY – Rte 72 at Rte 31, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Debbie Schmalen 847-426-7326
- WESTCHESTER – Mannheim Rd at Wight St, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Patricia Meyers 708-865-0374
- WESTERN SPRINGS – Ogden Ave at Wolf Rd AND Ogden Ave at Grand, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Blanche Heaney 708-246-7437
- WILLOW SPRINGS – Archer Ave at Willow Springs Rd, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Mary Bartik 708-839-8834
- WOOD DALE – 203 E Irving Park Rd, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.; Mary Stuhr 630-250-7521
For those who may be thinking that Illinois is a “lost cause” and “too liberal” to sway public opinion on abortion, consider some of the “unthinkable” successes that social conservatives witnessed in the past year: from parental notification becoming a reality in Illinois (after being blocked in courts for 18 years), to gay marriage failing to pass the Illinois General Assembly (despite Chicago machine politicians having a proof majority), we have seen some extraordinary outcomes lately. Let’s make next Sunday another event for the history books. It’s time for Illinois citizens to get a life!