– Parrot napper nabbed: Quincy woman is alleged robber of baby green cheeked conure from It’s a Pet’s World store in Weymouth, MA. The parrot has not apparently been recovered as of press time; a very dangerous situation if it is in the hands of someone inexperienced with hand feeding baby birds. Scroll below ad to continue. http://www.patriotledger.com/news/x1069223077/Quincy-woman-charged-with-…
– “Parrot Confidential” fallout: The as yet unaired PBS “Nature” episode now has Jane Goodall lining up with many parrot rescues critical of parrot ownership. http://www.argofilms.com/film/parrot-confidential/review-jane-goodall Several members of American Federation for Aviculture feel the presentation is unfairly slanted., rendering it unlikely that they’ll be too happy with a new, similarly themed book, “The Diary of Pink Pearl, A Bird’s Eye View” by Jes Führmann about a Moluccan cockatoo. Clip from “Parrot Confidential”, scheduled to air 11/13. http://video.pbs.org/partnerplayer/4tVEbhMLDQ6Qsu3wXgk9lQ==/?autoplay=false … And an AFA member rebuts the clip: “Dolly seems to be a bird whose owner has NOT provided enough for her to *do*, who reinforces the undesirable behavior with attention (notice that she looks at dolly when dolly vocalizes).”
– A man reported to the Niagara County, NY Sheriff’s Office that he was buying two Congo African grey parrots found on a website from a Midland, Texas man. After a wire transfer of $1007, the victim told the Sheriff’s Office he was contacted again and told he needed to send another $900 for transportation fees. The victim decided to cancel the transaction and requested the money back. Deputies attempted to contact the Texas man, with no success. — In a related development, parrot sales or scam(?) http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/23794422/many-are-calling-local-bird…
– Parrot people’s quiz: a tongue in beak blog by Patricia Sund. http://parrotnation.com/2010/11/18/a-parrot-persons-quiz-2/
– Parrot Wizard Michael Sazhin and friends Kili and Truman, sensations on national TV and You Tube, plan to be on hand at the Birdie Bash in CT on 11/9. Here are the Wiz and Kili the Senegal performing for David Letterman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeLAromg0js See the Showtime section for Bash details.
– Hate it when that happens: man trying to save parrot killed: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/trying-to-save-bird-chennai-…
– They’re baaaaaack: “”This is not training, it’s torture!” say opponents of the strobe light based “‘Stop Screaming Polly” device. The manufacturers’ response on their Facebook page: “We have no idea why someone just picked up that old story now.We haven’t sold any units since we paused sales over a month ago.” They go on to claim that the device is harmless and that they are reaching out to avian experts and veterinarians.
– Halloween hangover: chocolate is toxic to birds, but you may not know of the life-threatening dangers of candy and gum sweetened with Xylitol. Be extra careful your parrot does not gain access to it. There is no known antidote, warns Linda Rubin. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-h….
– Prevent feather plucking – make your parrot work! says Frank Indiviglio. http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdblog/#.UnG-4fmceQZ
– Pscittacine cinema: Lil Murphy the Goffins cockatoo speaks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9CmjGk5pMk&feature=share — Hey, Mr. Tambourine bird, play a song for me: http://screen.yahoo.com/viral-hits/cockatoo-jams-song-tambourine-0959444… — Jabba the African grey dancing to Justin Timberlake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKWC5LMih-w&feature=youtu.be — Cookie the conure showing off https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153361374380297 — Tickle time with Cookie https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153383438905297– Bathing beauty macaws http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RTDX_EXEwE&feature=youtu.be -0- Oliver eclectus eats a sandwich: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153410007650035 —Sully the Goffins cockatoo is a dancing machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMG6UTQTU-w&feature=youtube_gdata — Ice, ice Disco! www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWJPi3XbLM
– There are more than 350 species of parrots and about 120 species of parakeets alone. “Parakeet” is the avicultural term for several species of long tailed, slim bodied parrots, INCLUDING the budgerigars, or budgies, that Americans commonly refer to as parakeets.
– Training Your Parakeet To Talk – http://ow.ly/2B4i9O
– Senegal parrot profile: http://lafeber.com/pet-birds/species/senegal-parrot/
– Mixing cats and birds is a dangerous and not good idea, but here’s another of those cutesy stories, nonetheless: aspca http://www.aspca.org/blog/nubbins-and-his-bird-buddy-pose-2014-calendar?…
– The parrot of Peebles Island, New York: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/A-parrot-s-flight-of-fancy-49262…
– Readin’ material: Good Bird Inc Blog : Lots of free informative articles from Barbara Heidenriech, including screaming for attention (presumably parrots, not you). http://goodbirdinc.blogspot.com/2008/05/stop-you-parrot-from-screaming-f… The fallout from using force http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwB46jzrgdY; training terminology http://www.goodbirdinc.com/parrot-training-terminology.html
– Showtime: 11/2-3: Tim Vogle’s Southeastern Exotic Bird Fair – Atlanta State Farmers Market, 16 Forest Pkwy, Forest Park, GA – Sat 9-5, Sun 9-4 – 843-216-1553 – email@example.com — National Animal Interest Alliance (NAIA) 2013 National Conference – DoubleTree by Hilton, 10100 International Drive, Orlando, FL 3- 503-761-8962 – firstname.lastname@example.org — 11/9: The Parrot Club Annual Birdie Bash – Veterans Memorial Clubhouse, 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT – 10-4 – 860-749-5638 – email@example.com — Register now for Parrot Festival 2014 in Housrton, TX 1/24-26. Barbara Heidenriech and Patricia Sund are among the featured speakers. . http://www.parrotfestival.org/festivalregistration.html — BEENLEIGH BIRD BREEDERS SALE THIS SUNDAY ~ When: 3rd November 2013 Time: 9:30am Where: Community Hall Fryer RD Eagleby Admission: $2 Entry (Under 14 Free) Native & exotic parrots, finches, lorikeets, conures, ringnecks, neophemas, cockatoos, quail, doves, hand- Australia
– Clubbin’: The Parrot Club of Connecticut meets 11/9, 100 Sunset Ridge Drive, East Hartford, CT. Scheduled speaker is Lanette Raymond, president of Long Island Parrot Society — Greater Charlotte Cage Bird Society has undergone a shake up ; and recently posted this notice: “Due to an unforeseen circumstance we had some members that had a disagreement with the club. For the most part the members were wanting the club ran by the by-laws.The members with the disagreement got up and walked out of the meeting. The club is still a club and we will still be doing expos three times a year.”
– Lost: African grey parrot; Wilnecote area of Tamworth, England. Answers to Co Co. Reward offered. contract Midland Parrots for details. — Spotted: Budgie flying loose in the Industrial Park in Hauppauge, NY.
– News tips: Christine Connor, WindyCity Parrot, Hamza Dafir, Animal-World, Midland Parrots, Emmett Renshaw, Kathy Heaton, Viki Bullock, Mary Angel, Patricia Sund, Kathy Heaton, Linda Bringle Pearl, Deb White, Lanette Raymond, Pat Tucker, Dave Masone, Feathered Sanctuary, Viki Bullock, Linda Bringle Pearl, Kathy Heaton, Christine White, Dennis Bohn, Santa Barbara Bird Sanctuary, Midland Parrots