– PHOTO CAPTION: “What, me scream?” asks cockatoo to American Federation for Aviculture northeast chairperson Concetta Ferragamo. See related story below.
– Parrot “anti-screaming” device yanked after consumer outcry: “Our remote strobe light devices are designed to cause only mild discomfort and distraction to your parrot so that in the long run you will have a long and healthy relationship with your non-screaming feathered companion,” states the company website; which continues, “Our products are somewhat revolutionary and controversial, but similar to canine ‘shock collars’ which have become widely accepted as effective and humane training tools for dog. All of us at StopScreamingPolly.com are ‘bird people’. We have owned, loved and hand raised numerous parrots, and have tried countless techniques, ‘expert trainers’ and devices to teach our pets not to scream … all with limited success.” Marti Anders was one of many parrot fanciers raising a hue and cry in social media, saying, “If a parrot cannot be a parrot, which includes the occasional bouts of screaming, what sort of behavior will a gadget like this provoke- plucking, barbering, mutilating of the feathers or body? I will let my birds be birds and wear ear plugs if needed.” “Bird Talk”‘s Sally Blanchard commented,” ‘Stop Screaming Polly’ is obviously made by a person/company that neither knows or cares anything about companions but ‘a fool and his money are soon parted’ and people will buy this horrible product because there are far too many uneducated people who will jump at another totally useless ‘quick-fix’.Strobe lights can cause seizures in people – so it seems to me that the product may even be dangerous … there are parrots that also have seizures.” In apparent response to the tide of opposition, the site posted a late disclaimer, “All sales of StopScreamingPolly products have been paused until further notice. We still have not had any negative reports from anyone who has actually used our products, but we are consulting with additional experts in the field to ensure the long-term safety of our feathered friends!” Oh, the in-humane-ity. http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/new-device-helps-train-parrots-to-s…
– Hilarious “Saturday Night Live” parrot sketch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBCf_hizQ&feature=share
– West Hollywood update- the parrot show must go on: Legislation banning use of “exotic animals” in circuses, shows, etc. in West Hollywood, CA; including a perceived parrot ban feared by some aviculturists, as reported in last week’s “parrot’s beak” does NOT include parrots. The only avian species mentioned in the list of the departed two dozen or so are ostriches and emus.
– Dancing with the star cockatoo: Snowball performs to “Another one Bites the Dust”. http://www.windycityparrot.com/Snowball-the-dancing-Cockatoo_ep_508-1.html ♫
– Blondes don’t have more fun when they are orange fronted parakeets: http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Don-t-buy-the-blond-bird_…
– Psittacine cinema: Tricky budgie. No subtitles needed for this parakeet performance from the Far East. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gBdy5zQdaRw#t=18 — Two eclectus battle over a straw. http://youtu.be/xNAeCm6yNx4 — Senegal Kili playing dead – a silent classic! http://youtu.be/xmVDU7x-w9k — Chibbi the cockatiel serenades his friend Dora the bunny. http://youtu.be/2eEe1DdNyio — wild Aussie budgies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJ6PTY0mzE — Barb‘s here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRt6G1KDGY&feature=share&list=FL19TgTynx… – Blue and gold macaw in the shower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieMyajkMEVo&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=…
– Don’t think Pippy the cockatoo would ever stand for it, but this video shows how to put a harness on a bird in 10 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcEvLm9mmPQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVc… — http://bestinflock.wordpress.com/2010/05/23/parrot-harness-training/
– Picky, picky, picky: Is your parrot a picky eater? http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-nutrition/picky-bir…
– Wild parrots raising babies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJ6PTY0mzE
– Know before you go to Parrot EXPO on Sat. 10/5 or any bird show – not all vendors accept credit cards. There is an ATM in the lobby at Parrot EXPO! There may be an additional charge for certain programs or workshops. Never an additional charge at Parrot EXPO, but seating may be limited. Many organizations restrict avian attendance to members’ birds only. Humans only at Parrot EXPO–only volunteers’ birds permitted! Allow time to attend lectures and browse educational exhibits. www.liparrots.org
– The endangered red-fronted macaw (Ara rubrogenys) is endemic to a small semi-desert mountainous area of Bolivia. Most macaws nest in holes in large trees, but the red-fronted nests in vertical fissures in cliff faces. The bird has been captured for the pet trade in the past and killed by local farmers because it raids their crops.
– Parrot insurance: http://ahzu.info/parrot-insurance No info yet on if the ad spokescritter is a gecko or a duck.
– Por quoi?: Does anyone know why caiques were often called “La Petite Peruche Maypouri” in early literature? This information is in the Beak Bites section on Sally Blanchard‘s Companion Parrot Website. https://companionparrotonline.com/Beak_Bites.html
– “Life with Alex” Director Emily Wick‘s WCTC Radio Interview. Here it is online: http://www.wctcam.com/BertPodcasts.aspx
– Showtime: 9/28: NY Finch & Type Canary Club Annual Show – St. Jude’s Church, 1696 Canarsie Road, Brooklyn, NY – 10-5 – 718-967-6899 – email@example.com — 9/28-29: Atlanta’s Exotic Bird Fair – North Atlanta Trade Center, 1700 Jeurgens Court, Norcross, GA – Sat 9-5, Sun 10-4 – 770-279-9899 – firstname.lastname@example.org — 9/29: NJ Reptile & Pet Expo – Teaneck Armory, 1799 Teaneck Road, Teaneck, NJ – 9-5 -973-861-1877 – Joe@njreptileexpo.com — 10/5: LIPS Parrot Expo 2013 – Freeport Recreation Center, 130 Merrick Road, Freeport, Long Island, NY – 9-5 – 631-957-1100 – email@example.com — International Canary & Finch Society All Bird Fair – Hearthstone Manor, 333 Dick Road,Cheektowaga, NY – 9-3 – 716-282-2944 – firstname.lastname@example.org — Maryland All Canary Club’s Annual Fall Classic – Best Western Plus, 1100 Cromwell Bridge Rd.,Towson, MD – 9-4 – 703-929-3536 – email@example.com — 10/6: Chopalooza 2013 Featuring Irena Schulz, handler of Snowball the dancing cockatoo, chop demonstrations, speakers, live music and prizes. ChaseCounty Veterinary, Tampa, FLA. 11-5.
– Clubbin’: The Fort Worth Bird Club TX http://www.fwbc.org/ has scheduled a free event that features Michael Sazhin, The Parrot Wizard, at their monthly meeting on 10/13. Michael is the owner and trainer of the world famous Senegal parrot, Kili. His YouTube videos of Kili have over six million views and many of the videos have gone viral. Ginger Dorsch Duplisse is the Book Tour Coordinator for Sazhin. Contact Ginger at 480-382-5411 to have your club scheduled on the tour. Available dates are: 10/12, 19 and 20. And see a video clip of Kili in action in Pscittacine Cinema. –Greater Charlotte Cage Bird Society meeting – Sat. 10/5 at 3pm Showmars Restaurant 2540 Little Rock Road Charlotte, NC
– Rescue me: Winter is cold in Rhode Island and providing heat for the birds is one of the most difficult parts of the season for Steve Lazicki‘s bird rescue. Please consider helping out and have a little fun in the process! Fall Online Auction ends 9/29. http://www.32auctions.com/organizations/9815/auctions/10753 — Help Chico http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/chico-s-wing-amputation-surg…
– Readin’ material: World Parrot Trust‘s “Flock Talk” is out including -Species Profile: Timneh Parrot , Banner Year for the Puerto Rican Amazon Recovery Program, Ask an Expert: Behavior Challenges in a Young Amazon — 50 shades of grey- African grey parrot, that is; new book about Pickles: http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-African-Grey-Dominates/dp/1484134036/…y
– Lost: African grey; Chicago IL; reward offered.http://www.parrotalert.com/L11039 — Lost: Tiny the Senegal; Maple Shade Township, NJ http://www.parrotalert.com/L11068 — MISSING
AFRICAN GREY PARROT
LOST IN THE ABBEY LANE AREA OF LEICESTER
PLEASE HAVE A LOOK OUT FOR THIS BIRD AS HE OWNER IS MISSING DISTRAUGHT
PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU SEE THIS BIRD, SO WE CAN ADVISE THE OWNER.
HE IS 18 MONTHS OLD AND ANSWERS TO THE NAME OF ROY
– News tips: Dawn Korpalski, Kathy Heaton, Amazon Cracker, Lonarae Harner, American Federation for Aviculture newsletter, Flapping Feathers newsletter, The Parrot Club, Viki Bullock, BirdKeeper, World Parrot Trust, Linda Bringle Pearl, Sarah Strong, Arlene Levin, Dawn Korpalski, Marc Johnson