It’s not everyday travel is mixed with novelty but the newest travel novelty will have Hello Kitty fans reeling in delight and eager to fly to Taipei as Eva Air has introduced their brand new Boeing 777-300ER Hello Kitty-themed airplanes.
Over 70 Hello Kitty enthusiasts were on the inaugural flight, joined by a troupe of dancers, characters and the Hello Kitty creator herself, Yuko Yamaguchi. This event marked the beginning of regular non-stop flights between LAX and Taipei-Taoyuan for this aircraft.
The Hand-in-Hand theme Boeing 777-300ER airplane features Sanrio’s Hello Kitty and friends. Though this is the sixth kitty jet in the fleet, it is the first to feature some 19 characters from the entire Sanrio family. The other jets are Airbus 330’s and their themes are HELLO KITTY with Magic Stars, HELLO KITTY Loves Apples, HELLO KITTY Around the World, HELLO KITTY Happy Music, and HELLO KITTY Speed Puff.
While you can visit the Eva Air website, but in case you are unable to read Mandarin, here are some things that are cool to know:
- The safety instruction cards feature Hello Kitty toilet paper, soap, lotion, and yes there are even Hello Kitty barf bags.
- In-flight meals are Hello Kitty themed. Whether it’s Hello Kitty shaped waffles to branded salmon, each meal is equipped with a tray, placemat, utensils and glasses all keeping with the theme.
- Each plane carries a bevy of limited-edition products for sale designed to the specific theme. For example the Hand-in-Hand jet will allow you to purchase their Bluetooth travel keyboard with the same theme. The other themed planes have their own items.
- In addition to the items for sale, some extras come complimentary such as packs of playing cards.
- Travelers flying on Monday, Thursday, or Saturday, fly on a Hello Kitty theme plane no matter what and if you’re sitting in one of the airline’s 46 Royal Laurel class seats in addition to themed meals and goodies, how about a Hello Kitty pillow.
- The themes change with the seasons. In the photos there are autumn drink coasters. In the winter expect snowflakes, spring it’s cherry blossoms, and fireworks for the summer.
Photographs of the plane are encouraged and here’s one more note; don’t be surprised if one day you take Eva Air’s Hello Kitty themed plane and your captain happens to be their Chairman, K.W. Chang. Chang is the first airline chairman to also be a commercial airline pilot.
To fly on Hello Kitty’s newest route between Taipei and Los Angeles, book Eva Air flight numbers BR15 (LAX-TPE) on Monday, Thursday or Sunday and BR16 (TPE-LAX) on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.
You can visit Eva Air’s official Hello Kitty flight website.