In the battle of the bulge, it seems like a strawberry scone recipe would be on the list of “no-no’s.” But a French doctor, a Dr. Dukan, is changing that. The Dr. Dukan plan encourages those who want to lose weight to follow a four-step diet plan, which in later phases actually allows for some healthy scone recipes, a few treats and some other forbidden foods if eaten at the right time and in moderation.
The Dr. Dukan recipes for phase 2 of his diet still has a mostly low carbohydrate character, but it does allow for some ingredients that in other phases of the diet would not be allowed.
I stumbled upon the diet as I was researching new diet breakthroughs, because Lord knows, while being the Boise Food Examiner has introduced me to some wonderful recipes, it has also introduced me to some extra pounds. Word has it that the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton will use this diet to shed some post-baby pounds.
I’ve always been a proponent of the diet that teaches people how to eat in the long-term, because that’s where true lasting weight loss happens. In Dr. Dukan’s book, he includes some “Dr. Dukan diet recipes,” which he developed over the course of many years of prescribing the diet. This strawberry scone recipe is just one example of how you can eat well and still maintain an optimal weight. The instructions are below.
Dr. Dukan Diet Recipes: Healthy Strawberry Scone Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. Organic Oat Bran (Dr. Dukan offer a brand on his website)
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch (This is on the “tolerated” food list)
- 1⁄16 tsp. Organic Stevia
- 1 egg, separate the white from the yolk
- 1 Tbsp. cottage cheese, fat-free
- 2 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt, fat-free
- 3 strawberries (This is on the “tolerated” food list)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the cornstarch and oat bran into a bowl. Stir the Stevia into the mix.
- Whisk the egg white. Do this until it’s until stiff.
- Whisk together the fat-free cottage cheese and egg yolk.
- Fold the egg white into the egg yolk and cottage cheese mixture. Then fold this into the oat bran mixture.
- Divide mix into four servings onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 8−10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool on a rack.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of Greek yogurt and a few strawberry slices or goji berries.
- You can substitute the strawberries on this diet for 2 Tbsp. Dukan Diet Goji Berries.
- When serving this dish, drizzle Greek yogurt on top and garnish with a few strawberries or goji berries.
- Takes about 12 minutes to make and 8 minutes to bake. Serves four.