Do UFOs exist? The answer is simply, Yes. This next statement will not make me any friends in the UFO enthusiast world. We have been visited by extraterrestrial craft. It is not as frequent as most UFO believers would like it to be. Approximately 99% of the sightings are due to natural phenomenon, hoaxes, misidentification, or are of earthly origin. However, that leaves about 1% that cannot be identified or debunked. Many of these sightings or detections are never made public.
What exactly is an Unidentified Flying Object (UFO)? In simplest of terms, it is any object that is in the air/space that cannot be readily identified. This could be anything from a cluster of balloons, test aircraft, marsh gases, or alien space ships. In military jargon, the term used is Uncorrelated Target or UCT, and I find this a little more descriptive and definitive than a UFO.
The term UCT comes from those who are tracking objects with radar or some other type of tracking technology in which they have a database of objects that are known. In Space track systems this could be anything in orbit about the earth including rocket bodies, payloads, space junk, and even golf balls. These objects are tracked on a regular basis, and they are considered to be a correlated target. They are known objects. However, a known object can become a UCT.
A known object can become a UCT by going off its known parameters. This may be caused by natural causes such as solar winds, orbital perturbations (gravity), or an unscheduled maneuver. This is why it becomes very important to monitor everything in orbit around our planet. It is an absolute necessity to know where every object is located, and it is there when it is suppose to be there. Space junk and other objects can be a hazard to any new mission being launched, and there is always the possibility of someone trying to sneak a weapons platform or spy system in on us disguised as piece of junk.
With that in mind, nothing gets into our space or leaves our space without us knowing about it—WORLD WIDE! And I am not talking just radar technology, but various other technologies that when put together as a unit cannot be defeated or fooled. Therefore, you can see how the percentages mentioned above have been generated. However, this does not discount the 1% that could be real.
Whoa, 1% or less is real? That raises a whole bunch of questions. If you have a question, let me know. I will try to address them according to the popularity of the questions asked.