Need a place to take the family? Check out these local concerts and events!
Drama Learning Center Fall Audition
- What and When: Fall Auditions for Grades 9-12 — A half-day audition workshop Friday November 1, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. or 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Where: Drama Learning Center 9130-I Red Branch Rd. in Columbia.
- Cost: $45, advanced registration is required.
- What to bring: 32 bars of musical theatre sheet music, a 60-second monologue, and comfortable clothes to perform choreography.
- Registration: 410-997-9352 or www.dramalearningcenter.com
Candle Light Concert Society
- When: Sunday, November 3, 4:30 p.m.
- What: The National Marionette Theatre returns with Pinocchio.
- Where: Smith.Theatre, Horowitz Arts Center, Howard Community College, 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, 410-997-2324 from Tues.- Fri. 11 a.m.-5.p.m. www.candlelightconcerts.org
Candle Light Concerts
- When: Saturday, November 9, 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Smith Theatre, Horowitz Arts Center, Howard Community College, 10901 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia, MD.
- What: MECCORRE STRING QUARTET debut tour in North America featuring Haydn: Quartet in B minor, Op. 33, No. 1; Szymanowski: Quartet No. 2; and Penderecki: Quartet No. 3.
- Tickets: Information and tickets 410-997-2324 email@example.com
Annual Caregiver Event
- When: November 9, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Where: North Laurel Community Center, 9411 Whiskey Bottom Road, Laurel.
- Tickets: This event is free, and includes a continental breakfast and lunch. Respite care will be provided on-site. Registration is required, to register or for more information, please call the Maryland Access Point of Howard County at 410-313-5980.
Johns Hopkins University STEM Day
- When: November 16, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on JHU’s Montgomery Campus.
- What: Take advantage of a unique opportunity to learn more about Science and other STEM careers at this one-day career symposium. LOFT gives minority students the opportunity to network with graduate students, young professionals, and representatives form some of the top bioscience organizations in the State.
- Tickets: Registration is FREE and is currently open to juniors and seniors in high school and college undergraduates. Visit www.mdbiofoundation.org.
Choose Civility Poster Contest
- What: Poster Contest is being presented in partnership with the Columbia Association, Howard County Library System, and Howard County Public School System.
- The theme this year is From Kids to Grandparents: Kindness and Respect in the Digital Age.
- Who: We are also including all grade levels this year. We would ask each school to choose 2 winners — how you decide upon them is up to you. All student entries will be displayed at the Columbia Art Center this year.
- Deadline: The deadline for the posters to be submitted to us is November 22. Each submission should include the student’s name grade level school on the reverse side of the artwork. Entries must be submitted to Kami Wagner in the Office of Student Services.
- Questions: Call ext. 5676 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
St. Jude Give Thanks Walk
- When/What: On Nov. 23, participants will be gathering at Centennial Park in Ellicott City to do a 5k walk and support St. Jude’s lifesaving mission of finding cures and saving children.
- Registration is free and available now at www.givethankswalk.org.
- Cool fundraising incentives!
- All proceeds go directly to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
The Arthritis Foundation’s Jingle Bell Run/Walk 5K
- When: On Saturday, December 7, at Centennial Park.
- What: Bring your family, friends and dogs and enjoy a festive morning. Wear a holiday themed costume. Tie jingle bells to your shoelaces. Raise funds to fight arthritis, the nation’s leading cause of disability. Get in the spirit and celebrate the season by giving.
- Register at www.EllicottcityJBR.org .
The Enigma of Autism Interactive Course
- What: The symbol of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is a puzzle piece, which is appropriate since autism is an enigma to people in the community, people researching it, and people living with it. This interactive course will look at all the various components of ASD and will give practical strategies for all who may be touched by autism. Participants will walk away with an increased knowledge of the autism spectrum, strategies to use when interacting with a person with ASD and a few more pieces to this puzzle of the mind.
- Register on line at www.hccexpress.net.
EYO Basketball Registration
- Open and runs through October 31.
- EYO Leagues include: Co-ed Grade K, 1, 2 & 3; Boys Grade 4-9; High School; and Girls 8U, 10, 12U, and 13-18U.
- Register at EYOSPORTS.ORG
- Practices begin in early November.