On Tuesday, Stanford announced that starting defensive end Ben Gardner was lost for the season. With the news of the injury, Stanford’s defense has taken a hit, but the Cardinal still moved up in Wedneday’s power poll. Here is the list of other rankings via CBS Sports.
Last Saturday’s college football weekend was filled with heavy favorites playing their role. Three teams from last weeks power poll rankings took losses, but only one was upset at home. The rest were predictable outcomes.
Missouri had everything to play for and a 17 point lead entering the fourth quarter against South Carolina. Fifteen minutes later, the Tigers were heading to overtime and eventually lost everything. Missouri went from heavy favorites to win the SEC East to on the ropes in heartbreaking fashion.
Texas Tech also had a setback on the road at Oklahoma, but many people assumed they would loss a hard fought game.
The top three teams all played well in wins over conference foes. Though Alabama and Florida State dominated inferior teams, Oregon’s win over UCLA was easily, the best win of the three.
Of the top three, only Florida State plays this week, but there are plenty of high profile teams ready to make a statement. Baylor gets their first chance to impress the nation when they take on Oklahoma.
Here are the rankings for this week’s power poll. Let us know what teams belong in and out of the Top 10.
1. Florida State: The Seminoles scored 35 points in the first quarter against North Carolina State. The upcoming opponents should be worried. Jameis Winston and company look unbeatable right now. Next game vs. Miami.
2. Alabama: Tennessee was no match for the Crimson Tide as many predicted. The defense is good, but how good are they really? They haven’t played any offense to test them physically since Texas A&M. Bye week.
3. Oregon: They struggled early with UCLA. It was partly due to the Bruins defense, but they also made critical mistakes. A fumble and a blocked led directly to the 14 points. Otherwise, the defense played in dominating fashion. Bye week.
4. Ohio State: You wanted them to take an opponent seriously, so they put up 63 points on Penn State. The Buckeyes deserve more respect. Next game vs. Purdue
5. Baylor: The Bears are on an 11 game winning streak. Their last loss came to Oklahoma. There’s no time like the present for redemption. Bye week.
6. Stanford: The Cardinal held Oregon State to 12 points. Their offense hasn’t been great as of late, but they are grinding out wins with the ground game. Bye week
7. Miami: The Hurricanes have been ridiculed for winning games. Yes, they have struggled with conference foes, but Miami keeps chopping wood to earn tough wins. If they win next week, no one will complain, right? Next game vs. Florida State
8. Clemson: Don’t believe the hype about Clemson being an average team. Florida State is just that good. Their offense has been a little sluggish, but they are ready for a breakthrough. Next game vs. UVA
9. Auburn: The Tigers are either really good or they are a fraud. Their offense has risen to a new level the past three weeks. The next four will tell the story of their season. Next game vs. Arkansas.
10. Oklahoma: The Sooners’ bounced back nicely with a win over Texas Tech. With one loss, Oklahoma’s chances of a Big 12 title are on the line. They have plenty of time to prepare for Baylor. Bye week.
11. Missouri: In college football, you can’t afford to have a breakdown, but that’s what the Tigers are facing now. If they win out, they’ll still have a shot at the BCS Championship game. Next game vs. Tennessee.
For more sports news, check out Top 10+1 Sports Blog and Twitter.