We are already heading into week three of the college football season, and things will start to look drastically different once Saturday is over. By Monday September 9, all the major polls had Alabama as their number one. That includes the AP, Coaches, and ventwing.com poll. However, after a bye week, the Crimson Tide will have their toughest defensive test since the last time they played Texas A&M in November of 2012. On Tuesday, news got a little better for the Crimson Tide when Texas A&M safety, Floyd Raven was ruled out with a collarbone injury.
With Georgia’s thrilling 11 point victory over South Carolina, the Bulldogs did more than their job to stay in the Top 10+1 power poll. The Gamecocks’ loss was disheartening, but all is not lost for the season.
Georgia’s home victory certainly justifies the Clemson Tigers remaining atop the power poll for another week. Still, winning doesn’t always guarantee your spot, so the Tigers must tread carefully this week.
Here is the week 3 Top 10+1 Power Poll
1. Clemson- The Tigers’ win over Georgia was more convincing after the Bulldogs took down South Carolina. They essentially had a bye week verse South Carolina State in an easy victory. Quarterback Tajh Boyd did pick the Aggies to upset Alabama on Saturday.
2. Alabama– The Crimson Tide has a lot to prove on Saturday. They had a bye week and should be well prepared for Texas A&M’s system. Their offensive line should be much better if they expect to win. Next game at Texas A&M.
3. Oregon– The Ducks could be the best team in the nation hands down. They ran past Virginia in a cross country road game. Marcus Mariota is averaging over 25 yards per carry. That’s a lot. Next game vs. Tennessee.
4. Stanford- The Cardinal scored 34 points in their opening win over San Jose State. Their defense looked very strong as well. Kevin Hogan is a sleeper for the Heisman. Next game at Army.
5. Louisville– With all of the great quarterbacks in college football, Teddy Bridgewater stands with the select few. This whole team is solid all around. The Cardinals can’t afford a loss and have to win big. Next game at Kentucky
6. Georgia- The Bulldogs had a huge win over South Carolina. They finally get a chance to relax after the toughest two game stretch.
7. Texas A&M- They have Johnny Manziel and a prolific offense. It’s too bad ever opponent has a prolific offense against them too. Next game vs. Alabama.
8. Ohio State- The health of Braxton Miller is concerning. A knee injury may limit his ability to play. The Buckeyes struggled in a couple games last year too, but they won them all. Next game at Cal.
9. LSU– So far so good for the LSU Tigers. Their offense has been a welcomed addition in 2013. They’ll have to keep it up if they are to rise in the power poll. Next game vs. Kent State.
10. Florida State- The Seminoles had a bye week. Hope they had a good rest. Let’s see if the Jameis Winston passing accuracy was a fluke. A repeat performance will be plain scary. Next game vs. Nevada.
11. Michigan– The Wolverines are impressive on both sides of the ball. Devin Gardner is a playmaker and looks very smooth running the offense. They look like the best team in the Big 10. Next game vs. Akron.
Top 10+1 Sports Blog & Twitter