The Los Angeles Clippers kicked off their 2013-14 NBA season with a disappointing 116-103 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday. The start of the Doc Rivers era in Los Angeles was overshadowed by an amazing performance by the Lakers bench, which included a career-high 22 points from Xavier Henry while a returning Jordan Farmar scored 16 points and handed out 6 assists.
After an offseason where many in the media pegged the Clippers as championship contenders and the Lakers as a team that might not make the playoffs, it felt like a game from the recent past when the roles were switched around. But in those games, it was Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol leading the beatdown, not young veterans like Henry, Wesley Johnson and Jordan Hill. It was such a shocking sequence of events that Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni actually sat all of his starters to let the bench take care of business for the entire fourth quarter.
The newly minted Clippers “Big 3” of Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan put up solid numbers, but not what is expected from a trio that Rivers needs to play at superstar levels in order to win a championship. Griffin scored 19 points and 7 rebounds, Paul had 15 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 steals while Jordan added 17 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocked shots. New Clipper starters J.J. Redick scored 13 points on 5-12 shooting and Jared Dudley had 5 points in 23 minutes. Despite shooting almost 59 percent of their shots, the Clippers were only up by two points at halftime, which was a sign of the young Lakers simply outhustling them.
The Clippers’ next game will be against the Golden State Warriors on Halloween night at Staples Center.
- The next game between the Lakers and Clippers will be January 10
- Kobe Bryant was in attendance sitting alongside the Lakers bench
- Matt Barnes and DeAndre Jordan were both called for flagrant-1 fouls during the second quarter
- The Lakers outscored the Clippers 41-24 in the fourth quarter and their bench more than doubled the scoring output of the Clippers 76-34
- Celebrities in attendance included Yaseil Puig, Tommy Lasorda, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Flea and Diddy
- Sneaker Recap: Blake Griffin in the Jordan Super.Fly 2, Chris Paul in the Jordan CP3.VII, Jamal Crawford in Brandblack, DeAndre Jordan in the Nike Zoom Soldier 7, Wesley Johnson in the adidas Crazy 97, Xavier Henry in the Nike Kobe 8 “Purple Platinum, Pau Gasol in the Nike Hyperdunk 2013, Nick Young in the Air Jordan 4 “Lightning”
Statistics courtesy of Clippers.com and The Los Angeles Times
Follow me on Twitter and catch all of the Clippers news and general shenanigans here.