Less than one percent of people on the planet can say they have finished a marathon. It requires training as well as mental and physical stamina. It’s also one of the few times professionals tell you to eat a ton of pasta, rice, potatoes and other high-carb foods before the race as a source of energy to cover the 26.2 miles.
These Chicago restaurants want you to win as much as you do, so tuck a napkin in your collar and dig in before lacing up the Nikes.
Power up with pasta at RIVA
In anticipation of the Chicago Marathon, RIVA Crab House on Navy Pier will offer pasta specials on Friday and Saturday night before the marathon. Specials will include the following:
- Penne with wild mushrooms, $20
- Wild mushrooms, Tuscan kale, pancetta, pecorino
- Fettuccine with white shrimp, $28
- Cherry tomato fondue, basil, toasted garlic
- Linguine with grilled vegetables, $18
- Grill vegetables, garlic, pepper flakes, and olive oil
700 E. Grand Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
In anticipation of the Chicago Marathon, Phil Stefani’s 437 Rush will offer pasta specials created by Executive Chef Christian Fantoni, available on the Friday and Saturday night before the marathon. Specials include:
- Fettuccine alla Bolognese, $20
- Homemade ribbon pasta, Bolognese style meat sauce, tomato, parmesan
- Garganelli Panna e Prosciutto, $21
- Homemade pasta quills, imported parma prosciutto, peas, mascarpone cream sauce
- Orecchiette alla Vesuviana, $19
- Fresh Orecchiette pasta, eggplants, oregano, tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarella
- Paccheri ai Gamberi, $23
- Large tube pasta, creamy tomato vodka sauce, jumbo shrimp
- Ravili su Fonduta di Pomodoro, $20
- Housemade sheep ricotta and spinach filled ravioli, tomato fondue, parmesan, basil oil
437 N. Rush St.
Chicago, IL 60611
Marathon weekend specials at Municipal Bar
Runners who visit Municipal over the Chicago Marathon weekend can load up on hearty dishes on Friday, October 11 and Saturday, October 12. On Sunday, October 13, all runners will receive 15 percent off all food and drinks with their Runner ID.
Weekend specials include:
- Creamy Chicken Alfredo, $13
- Spaghetti and Meatballs, $14
- Mac and Cheese, $6
- add protein: buffalo chicken, bacon, or chorizo, $8
- Steak with baked potato and corn on the cob, $18
- Half Chicken, mashed potatoes and broccoli, $16
216 W Ohio
Chicago, IL 60654
Want to just watch?
Chicago Marathon Breakfast and Watch Party
8 a.m.- 12 p.m. at Park Grill
Enjoy an alfresco breakfast buffet in the heart of Millennium Park starting at 8 a.m. Catch all the Marathon action and cheer on the runners via large monitors set throughout the Plaza. Tickets are $18, available online.
Chicago Marathon Breakfast Buffet:
$18 per person
- Local Seasonal Yogurts with stone fruit compote and spiced granola
- Honey and Mint Fruit Salad
- Chocolate and Classical Croissants
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Poppyseed and traditional bagels with sliced cucumbers, marinated tomatoes, shaved red onions, capers and chive cream cheese
- Nancy’s Apple and Chicken Sausage
- Raisin River Bacon
- Parmesan Breakfast Potatoes
- Chilaquiles with salsa verde and queso fresco
- Skillet Scrambled Eggs with scallions
- Eggs Benedict, Canadian bacon, toasted English muffins with balsamic hollandaise
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes, cream cheese frosting
Park Grill at Millennium Park
11 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60602
The Chicago Marathon means delicious meals loaded with carbs enjoyed entirely guilt-free.
Fuel up for the big race at Rockit Bar & Grill with these hardy dishes that will keep your energy levels high.
- Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese ($15), four cheese mac, buttermilk blue cheese, chives
- House Made Pasta ($15), hand rolled fettuccine, grape tomatoes, shaved asiago cheese, toasted walnuts, kale-walnut pesto, add chicken ($4) or add shrimp ($4)
- Turkey Chili ($7), red kidney beans, shredded cheese, cilantro
Rockit Bar & Grill
22 W Hubbard
Asian carb loading
If you fancy Asian flavors, you can carb load with glee at Sunda.
- Kimchi Fried Brown Rice ($10), scallions, braised pork belly, garlic, egg
- Spicy Green Tea Soba Noodle Salad ($14), tiger shrimp, sprouts, carrots, asian pear, cabbage, cucumber, egg, sesame, soy red chili pepper sauce
- Pad Thai ($12), choice of shrimp, chicken or tofu, with rice noodle, egg, carrots, cabbage, tamarind sauce, scallions
Sunda New Asian
110 W Illinois St
Chicago, IL 60654