Do you have questions about how to make a flaky pie crust? What if your pie crust is tough or soggy? Call the Crisco Pie Hotline for all your Thanksgiving pie recipe questions. Don’t forget Christmas pie recipes and questions about those. Crisco has all the answers to your holiday pie questions. Just give them a call!
For those hoping to leave burnt and soggy pie crusts a thing of the past—keep calm and bake on—the pie experts from Crisco are here to help! Just as fall baking gets underway, the Crisco® Pie Hotline (1-877-FOR-PIE-TIPS) returns for its eighth year to help home bakers succeed with the perfect pie crust.
From how to avoid shrinking crusts to creating the perfect filling, the Crisco Pie Hotline provides information and tips around the clock to assist bakers with some of the most common pie-baking challenges. Live pie experts can be reached Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET by calling 1-877-FOR-PIE-TIPS (877-367-7438). During the harried holiday season when pie baking is at its peak, live pie experts are on-call during extended hours, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET from November 18 – 27, and 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET from December 16 – 23. Additionally, recorded tips and tricks can be accessed 24 hours a day.
“For more than 100 years, Crisco has been a staple in helping to achieve that tender, flaky pie crust that people will talk about throughout the holidays,” said Maribeth Burns, Vice President, Corporate Communications, The J.M. Smucker Company. “Even though pie baking may seem challenging at first, with the right tools, techniques, and occasional help along the way, anyone can create a truly perfect pie. We are proud to bring back the Crisco Pie Hotline to ease the stress of seasonal baking and offer advice on how to wow guests with pie baking perfection.”
In addition to classic sweet pie recipes, the experts at the Crisco test kitchen have been working away to bring some delicious new savory pie recipes to your family table (available at www.Crisco.com):
For more information about the Crisco Pie Hotline or for additional tips, recipes and how-to videos, visit Crisco.com. Join the Crisco community on Facebook at Facebook.com/Crisco or on Pinterest at Pinterest.com/criscorecipes.
Caramel Apple Walnut Pie Recipe
- 5 cups peeled, thinly sliced Golden Delicious or Braeburn apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 9-inch single Classic Crisco Pie Crust
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Toss apple slices, 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon in large bowl until evenly coated.
- Arrange apples in pie crust. Whisk sweetened condensed milk and melted butter in same bowl until smooth. Pour evenly over apples. Bake 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and flour in medium bowl. Cut in 2 tablespoons cold butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle evenly over pie.
- Bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Cool wire rack.
Recipe and photos used with permission by Crisco.com.