Burn 2 opens in less than three weeks in Second Life®, on Saturday October 19, 2013, and will culminate with the traditional Burning of The Man on Sunday, October 27. In between will be nine days of performances, wildly imaginative builds and events, Lamplighter processions, and above all, fun. The event is an official regional Burning Man event, run by the same organization that runs the famous Burning Man event in the Nevada desert. It’s difficult or impossible for most people to get away to spend a week in the desert, but Burn 2 offers you the opportunity to get a taste of it without leaving your home.
This writer was there last night. I can’t provide any photographs – those will have to wait until the event opens on October 19, but the Temple is looking beautiful and builders all over the Playa are busy erecting creative works.
Burn 2 and Burning Man aren’t just spectator events, though it’s certainly more possible at Burn 2 to simply be a spectator than it is at Bunning Man. You’re still at home, after all, and haven’t left everything to spend a week in the desert, but the most fulfilling way to enjoy it is to become part of it yourself. You don’t have to build anything. That’s already being done. The Burning Man organization consists mostly of volunteers. It’s volunteers who do the work of making it happen and keeping it running.
There are a wide variety of ways to become involved, depending on what your interests, experience, and skills are. A few of the ways you can volunteer are:
- Community Guide
- Linguists. People attending Burn 2 will be from all over the world and will speak a wide variety of languages. If you can help translate, you can be a huge help when misunderstandings arise that are due to language issues.
- Script witch. Are you great with LSL scripts? You can help builders with scripting issues.
- Crew for The Man, The Temple, Center Camp, and the various stages.
- Lamplighter. This is one of the most fun ways to be involved (this writer is a Lamplighter)
- Ranger: Rangers mediate when disagreements arise. (this writer is also a Ranger).
- Live performer. Good performers are always needed.
- Press Wranglers. Work with press people covering the even.
This is only a partial list. You can get a complete list of volunteer positions with more complete descriptions at www.burn2.org/open-jobs and you can sign up at www.burn2.org/volunteer-signup .
You can learn more about Burn 2 at www.burn2.org and you can learn more about Burning Man at www.burningman.org .