The BCS released their rankings for the second week and the Oregon Ducks jumped Florida State on Sunday. This is the same Florida State team that scored 35 points in the first quarter against North Carolina State. After the first week, the Seminoles must have been ecstatic about starting in the top two. However, reality set in after Oregon surpassed Florida State in the standings.
Even with the loss by Missouri, the SEC has two teams in the top 10. The PAC 12 also has two teams in the top 10. Oregon and Stanford should be bracing for a top five match up next Thursday. The ACC has three teams in the top 10 too. Florida State gets a crack at Miami for what could be a preview of the ACC title game. One loss Clemson is also in BCS upper echelon.
Ohio State (4), Baylor (6), and Oklahoma (10) are the remaining Top 10 BCS teams. Baylor plays Oklahoma in a Big 12 showdown on Saturday.
Here is a breakdown of the BCS rankings.
1. Alabama: The Crimson Tide have given up 26 points since their win at Texas A&M. Those wins include two shutouts. They’ve either gotten a lot better or their opponents are horrible on the offensive end. Their dominance over Tennessee was typical. Alabama has a bye week before they take on LSU.
2. Oregon: The Ducks struggled with UCLA for a half. Then they turned a 14-14 tie into a 42-14 win. They’ve turned the ball over a few too many times, but they’ve outclassed every opponent so far. Next game vs. Stanford.
3. Florida State: The Seminoles really look like the best team in the country. They are the top 10 in offense and defense. The way Florida State is dismantling opponents, you have to wonder if they can keep up this level of play. Next game vs. Miami
4. Ohio State: Did Ohio State get more respect for dropping 63 on Penn State? The Buckeyes have not lost in almost two seasons. Next game vs. Purdue
5. Stanford: They are the highest ranking one loss team. Stanford held Oregon State to 12 points. They have a huge chance to move up in the BCS next week. Stanford has the PAC 12 North on the line. Next game vs. Oregon
6. Baylor: Finally, the Baylor Bears get to start their season. We will learn a lot about Baylor in the coming month. Oklahoma is the last team to beat Baylor and the Bears have a chance at redemption. All eyes will be on Baylor’s defense. Next game vs. Oklahoma.
7. Miami: It’s no secret that Miami’s offense has not looked good. Still, they continue to find ways to win games at the end. The Hurricanes’ face the most daunting challenge of the season. Next game vs. Florida State.
8. Clemson: Clemson bounced back from their only loss, to beat Maryland. The Tigers have already clinched second in the ACC Atlantic. Right now they are fighting for a BCS berth. Next game vs. Virginia.
9. Missouri: The Tigers blew a 17 point fourth quarter lead. This was a heartbreaking loss in what should have been an easy victory. Next game vs. Tennessee
10. Oklahoma: The Sooners showed their worth during Saturday’s win over Texas Tech. Oklahoma’s win put them into the top 10 and they have a tremendous opportunity to rise in the BCS. Next game vs. Baylor.
For more sports, check out Top 10+1 Sports Blog and twitter.