Whether they’re walking, cycling, or carpooling, get your kids to school safe and sound
Summer just arrived, and the bustling back-to-school season will be here before we all know it. BubbleBum founder, Safe Kids USA certified CPST, and Travel Expert Grainne Kelly knows the best way to keep kids safe en route to school:
Walking to School:
- Talk to other parents in your area about how their children get to and from school. Create a “Buddy System” by getting a group of kids to walk to and from school together, and plan the route. This can even be chaperoned by an adult, where parents take turns walking with the kids.
- Walk the route with your children so they know the way to and from school, in case they ever get separated or lost from friends. This will help the kiddos feel more comfortable and confident about the route.
- Coming into the winter months and darker mornings and evenings, make sure your children wear high visibility clothing that other road users can easily see.
- Teach the kids how to be safe and obey all road signs, signals, and traffic officers when walking. Remind them to always look left, right, and left again before crossing any street.
- If your children listen to headphones or use a cell phone when walking, remind them to pay extra attention and remove these devices before crossing the street.
- Teach the kids to never talk and walk with strangers, or walk through parks, vacant spaces, and fields where there are no other people around.
- Make sure your kids know their home address and telephone number, in case there is an emergency or they get lost.
Cycling to School:
- Analyze your child’s cycling skills before allowing him or her to cycle to school. Make sure your child is stable, has the ability to ride in a straight line, and knows how to signal.
- Make sure your children wear a helmet that meets safety standards.
- Carry out regular safety and maintenance checks on the bicycle to ensure that everything is in working order. Check the brakes, tires, and lights to make sure everything works correctly.
- Make sure your kids wear appropriate clothing: sensible and sturdy shoes, clothing and shoes that won’t get caught in bicycle wheels and gears, and waterproofs, depending on the weather.
Taking the Bus:
- Teach your kids to arrive at the bus stop early, so they are not late and rushing to catch their bus.
- Teach your children to stay out of the street and the bus driver’s blind spots when waiting on the bus. Also remind them to wait until the bus fully stops before attempting to board.
- Remind your kids that they must stay seated at all times while on the bus, keeping their heads and arms inside! Make sure they know how to install their BubbleBum inflatable booster seat and fasten their seatbelts for the journey.
- Make sure kids know how to be courteous to other passengers and not distract the driver.
- Ensure your children have their BubbleBum car booster seats on hand and know how to install them properly.
- Remind your children to wait at the pick-up location and not move until someone they know comes to collect them.
Tips by Grainne Kelly:
Grainne Kelly is a USA certified CPST and the founder of BubbleBum, the first-ever inflatable booster seat that weighs in at less than one pound and can deflate in minutes. This revolutionary car booster seat is perfect for road trips, fly ins with car rentals, cab rides, and everyday carpooling. Available at http://www.bubblebum.us
BubbleBum, the first ever inflatable booster seat, has made traveling easier than ever! It’s the perfect solution for car rides, fly-ins with car rentals, cab rides and everyday car pooling. Weighing in at less than one pound, BubbleBum can deflate in minutes making it simple to throw in a backpack or large purse. BubbleBum includes belt positioning clips in place of arm rests, so it’s possible to fit three boosters across the back seat of a car, minivan or SUV. With its satisfactory design for parents and children, BubbleBum is proud to join the exclusive winners circle selected by the PTPA (Parent Tested Parent Approved) Media Awards. BubbleBum was also recently announced the IIHS (Insurance Institute of Highway Safety) “Best Bet” in their booster seat evaluation report, where they’ve branded BubbleBum as one of the best for safety!
BubbleBum is sold online via their website and is now conveniently available at all of our favorite retailers: select Target stores, Target.com, Babiesrus.com, Sears.com and Walmart.com. You can also connect with them on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.