The 19th annual Japanese animation convention Anime Weekend Atlanta, AWA, is this weekend from September 27th – 29th at the Cobb Galleria Centre. For three days fans will be able to attend special guest panels, participate in workshops, view hours of anime from various screening rooms, read hours of manga in the onsite Manga Library, Cosplay, compete in card and video gaming competitions, or visit the vendor hall to stock up on manga, anime, clothing, art, accessories and toys. The full convention schedule is now available online via an interactive tool that allows users to save their calendar and export to their phones. Registration is available onsite with details provided below.
AWA will also be providing a special opportunity for me to unlock two of the most amazing anime nerd achievements ever – speaking to both the English and Japanese voice actors that have played the roles of Vegeta and Piccolo of Dragon Ball Z! I have been an avid anime and manga fan for as long as I can remember, and have no intentions of ever curbing my obsession with it either. I also have many series that I will always love and I am sure I will find more along the way, but none of them will ever be able to replace the special place in my heart that has been saved for Dragon Ball. The characters of the Dragon Ball universe have been in many of our lives since 1986, with Goku growing up along side us for the last 27 years. We have seen many characters come in and out of his life along with way, with Piccolo and Vegeta having the most impact on his life and those around him than any of the others. While the writers brought both Piccolo and Vegeta to life for Goku, the men behind the voices of these characters brought them to life for us.
Last year, Anime Weekend Atlanta brought the very talented Ryo Horikawa, the Japanese voice of Vegeta, to Atlanta to give fans an amazing opportunity to ask him questions directly during his fan panel (which can be viewed here). This year, Anime Weekend Atlanta is bringing Toshio Furukawa, the Japanese voice of Piccolo, and Chris Sabat, the English voice of Vegeta and Piccolo, to Atlanta while also providing fans various opportunities to meet either of them throughout the weekend. Convention details and schedule information can be found below.
Additional special guests in attendance at AWA this weekend include:
- Vic Mignogna – Vic is best known as the English voice of Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, Vega in Streetfighter II, Tamaki Suou in Ouran High School Host Club, Fai in Tsubasa Chronicle, Dark in DN Angel, Kurz in Full Metal Panic, Broly in Dragonball Z, Kougaijji in Saiyuki, Ikkaku in Bleach, Yukito in Air, Takanaga in Wallflower, Tatsu in Peacemaker, Luciano in Code Geass, Virgil Walsh in Trinity Blood, Hikaru in Macross and many more. Vic is also the director and lead role of Captain Kirk in the web based series “Star Trek Continues”, and happens to be one of my favorite people to interview! You can see my most recent interview with Vic here, and I am looking forward to interviewing him again tomorrow.
- Johnny Yong Bosch – Johnny is best known as Adam Park in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as well as being the English voice of Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach, Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Itsuki Koizumi in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kiba in Wolf’s Rain, Renton Thurston in Eureka Seven, Emil Castagnier in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Shotaro Kaneda in Akira, Nero in Devil May Cry 4 and many more.
- Todd Haberkorn – Todd is best known as the English voice of Death the Kid from Soul Eater, Italy from Hetalia, Ling Yao from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Keroro from Sgt. Frog, Keiskuke from Initial D, Allen Walker from D. Gray Man and Hikaru Hitachin from Ouran High School Host Club.
- The full list of special guests in attendance at AWA this year can be found here.
For additional National Nerd Lifestyle Examiner news: Follow @KittiNinja on Twitter for nerd and anime lifestyle updates and news. Event video coverage available on KittiNinja’s YouTube Channel.
Schedule: Available online at http://schedule.awa-con.com/
Location: The event will be located in Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel and the Cobb Galleria Centre at Two Galleria Parkway, Atlanta, Georgia 30339
Walk-in Membership prices:
- One day pass Friday – $35
- One day pass Saturday – $40
- One day pass Sunday – $25
- Two day pass – $45
- Three day pass – $55
Registration: Walk up registrations available at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel during the following times:
- Friday, September 27 from 9:00am – 10:00pm
- Saturday, September 28 from 9:00am – 11:00pm
- Sunday, September 29 from 10:00am – 5:00pm