On Tuesday, the day before the liberal establishment in Washington coopted the ceremony commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s historic march, President Obama appeared on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. There he opined that Dr. King would have backed Obamacare:
Oh, he would like that … because I think he understood that health care, health security is not a privilege; it’s something that in a country as wealthy as ours, everybody should have access to.
It’s hard to say with any certainty whether Dr. King would have liked the law. There’s no doubt, however, that his niece, Alveda King, has problems with it. According to the Times-Herald, the descendent of the civil rights icon — who is director of African-American outreach for Priests for Life in Staten Island —is a plaintiff in a lawsuit regarding the employer provision in the Affordable Care Act.
The American Freedom Law Center filed a lawsuit on Tuesday in U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia on behalf of Priests for Life. The suit challenges the Obamacare mandate that Priests for Life’s insurance plan must provide contraception, abortifacients and sterilization services to its employees….
When accommodations for faith-based groups were released in June, Priests for Life leaders felt those accommodations did not provide the protection the organization needs from being forced to cover objectionable drugs and services as part of their health plans.
The lawsuit alleges that the regulations violate the Constitution and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act by forcing religious organizations to violate their religious beliefs.
King called the Obama administration’s insistence on free contraception an affront to civil rights. “There are racist and eugenic roots to this thinking,” she said. “Efforts to control the population always target minority and lower-income groups. We will not sit still and allow this to happen.”
Father Frank Pavone, national director of Priests for Life, is equally critical of the law, saying, “As we predicted from the outset, the accommodation turned out to be no accommodation at all.”
- Obama: MLK would have backed ‘Obamacare’
- Doctor shortage will be exacerbated by Obamacare
- Delta warns Obamacare will drive up health care costs by $100 mil
- GOP infighting over Obamacare could spill over into 2014 elections
- WH: Air strikes on Libya are “kinetic military action,” not war
- Obamacare forces McDonald’s to adopt 25-hour work week (Video)
- ‘Delay’ of Obamacare more likely to succeed than ‘defund’
- 7 steps to replacing Obamacare with something that works
- Administration launches video contest extolling virtues of Obamacare
- Young people could be the solution to euthanizing Obamacare
- ‘The pain Obamacare inflicts is real and currently measurable,’ say 100 fast-food workers
- When will Obama and libs face the reality that Americans hate Obamacare?
- Half Obama’s 30M newly insured forced to buy insurance against will
- UnitedHealthcare to leave individual insurance market in CA
- CA to use federal taxpayer money to train students to sell Obamacare
For more articles and headlines, be sure to check out Liberty Unyielding. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.