Heading to Hawaii soon? If so you probably will spend some time on Oahu (home of Waikiki, Honolulu, Diamond Head and top island Chef Mavro.
If you’ll be there during Halloween you are in for lots of treats, locals and visitors on each of the islands celebrate the holiday with a hyper hula zest. You can even get near Lahaina on Maui on October 31st. Anyhow here’s a heads up on some hip happenings on Oahu for fall and winter at Hotels & Resorts, Activities & Entertainments, Restaurants, Cuisine & Chefs, Shopping, and Festivals & Events.
- · Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa at Ko Olina opens an expanded water fun and dining options on October 19. There’s a new infinity edge pool, sparkling grotto, an ocean-themed splash zone for kids, and convenient poolside and beachside dining locations are among the enhancement highlights at the oceanfront resort. www.disneyaulani.com
- · Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu’s Fabled North Shore—where the winter surf lures the young and daring, is just finishing a multi-million-dollar renovation that included the addition of Nalu Kinetic Spa and wellness center. www.turtlebayresort.com
- · Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort ignites a Tuesday fireworks show, with a 15-minute performance by Tihati Productions, to s complement the Friday night display. www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com
- Activities & Entertainment
- · Holoholo Bicycles helps you get around the island easier, save gas and get some healthy exercise in the fresh sea air. They offer tours that tour takes you through Chinatown, Aloha Tower, Kakaako Waterfront Park, Iolani Palace, Kamehameha Statue and more. www.holoholobicycles.com
- · Waikiki will gain two new restaurants with the opening of the Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach, Sushi Sho and BLT Market. Sushi Sho is a Japan-based restaurant owned by Keji Nakazawa renowned for its Edo-style sushi. This will be its first U.S. location adding to its current 15 locations throughout Japan. BLT Market will be the second restaurant to open at the residences. This farm-to-table restaurant will be driven by seasonal availability of ingredients from local and regional areas of Hawaii. www.theresidenceswaikiki.com.
- · Chef Mavro will be offering his amazing wine paired gourmet dinners with special holiday feasts and fun. The romantic restaurant, just a few blocks from Waikiki, is ideal for couples celebrating special occasions. Just make sure you go hungry. The food’s fantastic.
- · The Molokai Hoe has become one of the longest running annual team sporting events in Hawaii, second only to football. The race starts at Hale o Lono beach on Molokai and goes through the Kaiwi Channel, ending at Duke Kahanamoku Beach in Waikiki. The Molokai Hoe perpetuates one of Hawaii’s and Polynesia’s most important and historic cultural traditions, while honoring outrigger canoe paddlers around the world. www.molokaihoe.com
- · Every musician loves the Annual Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festival will takes place on October 20 and will feature 15 of some of Hawai‘i’s finest practitioners of the guitar art form. In this six hour presentation, attendees can enjoy music exuding the spirit of Hawaii, as well as purchase original craft items by local artisans and local food favorites. www.slackkeyfestival.com
- The Vans Triple Crown of Surfing returns to the North Shore of Oahu, Nov. 12-Dec. 20, for the men’s series and women’s Roxy Pro at Sunset Beach. Kicking off with the Reef Hawaiian Pro at Haleiwa, the series continues with the Vans World Cup of Surfing and women’s Roxy Pro at Sunset Beach, and lastly the Billabong Pipeline Masters at the famous Banzai Pipeline. Oahu’s North Shore is home to these final events on the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) calendar that will crown surfing’s new world champions. www.triplecrownofsurfing.com
- Each winter, the world’s best big wave surfers are invited to Waimea Bay on Oahu’s North Shore to compete in the Quiksilver Big Wave Invitational In Memory of Eddie Aikau. The Eddie can only be held when surf measures at least 20 feet (Hawaiian scale) for a full day. The holding period for the event is between December 1 and the last day in February. When the surf is big enough, thousands flock to watch the likes of Kelly Slater and Bruce Irons compete in this prestigious surfing competition. www.quiksilver.com
- The City and County of Honolulu presents the Honolulu City Lights Opening Night. The month-long celebration kicks off on December. 7 with the lighting of a 50-foot Christmas tree on the Honolulu Hale lawn, food booths, keiki rides and an electric light parade. www.honolulucitylights.org